1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius - Windshield triples light source images

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by srevelation, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Adam Leibovitch

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I had to get in there and clean the interior face of the windshield with a good glass cleaner. No matter how good the dealer does or doesnt wash the car, vapors will escape from the plastics and create a haze on the windshield that is hard to defog and pronounces the image effect of this thread. I thought the car had a weak defroster, turns out it might have been just a lot of vapor residue.

2. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Adam,

So by cleaning your inside surface of your windshield very well, it eliminated the issue, or lessened it?

Mike

3. Amit R

Amit R Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just to be clear,I think you are talking about some defrosting issue which is different from my *tripling* issue.
    The Toyota engineers believe the "Tripling" issue is due to the angle of the windshield and change in the angle of the 2012 prius mold. There is no amount of scrubbing that will eliminate this issue else they would gladly do it for me.

4. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are they saying the 2012 Prius Liftback chassis is different from all previous years Prius?

Mike

5. Amit R

Amit R Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That is exactly what I've been told by the toyota regional Rep.At least from the front because of which the windsheild settings of the 2010 prius where the issue doesnt occur cannt be compared with the 2012 prius where the issue is considered *expected*

6. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds pretty lame if they expected this issue. Now why do some cars have it and others don't? I am thinking they are trying to get you to go away :( I have a feeling it will be hard to find many others with this issue as some won't see this thread and some won't want anything to do with what it takes to get it acknowledged by Toyota as a problem from the factory. I better go test my windshield. I don't drive my car at night but still wouldn't want some messed up glass in my car.

Mike

7. Adam Leibovitch

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It helped my visibility, which was frustrating me the other night because I couldn't get the windows to defrost very well, and they kept frosting back up, and the windshield wipers sucked and smudged everything around, also hurting visibility. I replaced the wipers as well as Toyota wiper blades are worthless.

All I see now is double images, strictly from red LED light sources.

8. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Weird how the factory wipers didn't provide a streak free wipe. I have always found the factory wipers functioning excellent on new Toyota rentals. I don't drive my car in rain so I wouldn't know how they work. I tested my windshield last night with a green LED light and it is clear as a bell. Good to see that :)

Mike

9. Adam Leibovitch

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Mine probably got worn from sitting under the sun on the lot all summer. I updated my previous post, its just red LED lights that I see doubles on my PIP.

10. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll have to dig out a red LED light and test it again. Have you run over to a Toyota lot and checked out other Prius and other cars? If you could somehow nail this issue down to a specific built time, it would likely help they figure what windshield supplier they came from or sumthin :) Hope they are taking you serious. Now why haven't a mass of Prius owners on this forum come in and said hey mine is this way or not that way? Either they can't find this thread or don't care or don't have the same issue. Here's another thought to ponder, go to a well respected auto glass shop in your area and get their opinion. Surely they have seen same or similar glass issues and could possibly provide you with a solution. What other windshield manufacturers are there for the Prius? Don't even think of some budget cheesy glass, only the good stuff :)

Mike

11. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have this problem too, and the "solution" is the same, though it comes back annoyingly quickly. This may be different than the "tripling" issue, as some have said.

Adam Leibovitch likes this.
  12. felix mizioznikov

felix mizioznikov Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    yes I have this in my 2012. noticed it right away and first time I've ever noticed this in a car. I dont mind, kind of looks like christmas all the time.

Jonny Zero and Adam Leibovitch like this.
  13. Amit R

Amit R Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well folks, I am so disappointed with Toyota right now.
    Toyota wont fix this. Atleast not till it gets more complaints or someone has a horrible accident.

I've contacted lawyers who've asked if Toyota gave me work order receipts of my visits, which they didnt. I'm going to work with these lawyers and see where this goes.
    Also pursuing outreach to local TV investigative reporters see where it goes.

File your case with Toyota if you see a similar issue.

14. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have not seen the "tripling" issue, but I have seen the film-on=the-inside-windshield problem for a number of years on cars of various makes.
    I don't remember seeing this so much when I was young--though it could have been I didn't notice or didn't care.

I wonder if this somehow has to do with improvements to efficiency of a/c through better seals, etc., so that whatever causes the film has less opportunity to dissipate into the world at large??? Kind of like the indoor air pollution problem in some homes being made worse by better insulation of window and door cracks.

15. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The interior plastic out gasses which causes the film on the inside window surfaces :(

Mike

Adam Leibovitch likes this.
  16. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That makes sense, Mike.
    Do you know if it has gotten worse with newer plastics, or because newer cars have tighter seals?
    Otherwise, I may just be imagining that it has gotten worse.

17. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some vehicles are worse than others. I imagine temperature has something to do with the amount of gasses released out of the plastics. I have only had to clean my glass once in 6 months but my car sits in a dark garage most of that time. I wonder if a car parked in the sun would gas more than one in the shade? Have to get lots of feedback from forum members to determine that.

Mike

18. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, for the last ten years, I've lived in Arkansas, and kept my cars outside almost all the time. Gets hot around here . . .

19. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hows the glass look after a few days in the sun?

Mike

20. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Stick your finger on the windshield and you should know right away if the glass is spotless clean or has some build up :)

Mike