1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius - Windshield triples light source images

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by srevelation, Nov 11, 2011.

1. phvdriv3r

phvdriv3r Defender of the Glass - Lemon-ed a 2012 PHV

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Update: Toyota acknowledges the ghosting/replication issue exists on some Toyota Highlander and Lexus CT200H, as well as the latest Prius & PHV. They still don't believe there is a safety or other hazard here. How cars are sold with windshields like these makes no sense. Doesn't the state/federal governments not have windshield clarity standards for windshields? Are people really this willing to just let something like this go until someone dies? The floor mat, accelerator, & braking issue was ignored until it got enough attention. We really need to get more people aware of this and get those affected to start reporting it.

Even more ridiculous... A contact of mine advised that NHTSA is more or less unaware or not actively investigating this because of two reasons: no accidents reported (yet...) & few complaints. ...sad. Awareness around this issue must be raised so someone does something about it and Toyota is held accountable. We should not be standing by and letting something like this continue to go unaddressed.

2. JoanneR

JoanneR Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had this from day one with my 2007 Prius, thought it was normal. I have only driven the 2013 Prius once at night and did not notice the same effect.

3. pichner

pichner Metallic Maniac #001

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My 2012 has that issue, but it doesn't bother me. My kids think its great, we have a magic windshield in our new car!

WE0H likes this.
  4. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You people should post up what plant your car was made in and see if the bum windshields came from the same plant? Mine doesn't have it and it was built in the Fugimatsu plant which, by the way, happens to be the squeak & rattle free Prius plant :) The Tsutsumi #1 & #2 plants both have produced squeak & rattle Prii over the years for some unknown reason.

Mike

5. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Tsutsumi closer to the quake center?

6. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe so. I know the Fugimatsu plant is the furthest south. One of these days I will take my Geiger counter to my car and see if it glows :eek:

Mike

7. JoanneR

JoanneR Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hate to ask this, but how can I tell which plant built my car? I suspect mine came from the rattle & squeak plant.

For the first time today, I noticed a rattle from the passenger side along with a ship horn sounding sound from the car when I put it in the garage. Brought it directly to service (which is about a mile away) and asked how I could get a mechanic take a ride so he could hear it. Told by service that the ship horn was from the brakes and to empty the glove compartment, move the passenger seat around, and have someone else sit in the seat to see if that makes the rattle go away. I was more than a little pissed off at that. My 2007 Prius never made a sound when I drove it in the garage. Guy says new brakes have better or more advanced hydraulics, or something like that.

8. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am not home to verify, but I believe the 11th digit of the VIN is the plant. I know 5 is the F plant.

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

9. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder if that sound is the George Jetson speaker under the hood?

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

10. Adam Leibovitch

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes I also think it is the pedestrian warning. Its so blind people, children, pedestrians texting, etc. can hear you coming.

JoanneR likes this.
  11. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone notice how nobody hears the George Jetson speaker unless you are driving inside your garage?

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

12. JoanneR

JoanneR Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Adam Leibovitch wrote: Yes I also think it is the pedestrian warning. Its so blind people, children, pedestrians texting, etc. can hear you coming.

Dang! That's it. I used to have fun coming up behind people in the parking lot and following them.

13. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius manufacture date & location

Here is how to get the date and plant of manufacture:
    Look at the highest sticker inside the driver's door pillar, it should be black with silver inscriptions.

The upper right corner will have the date of manufacture as MM/YY format.

The VIN number (centered just above the bar code) contains the plant code. It is position 11 and there are 3 Prius plant codes:

0 = Tsutsumi plant line # 1
    1 = Tsutsumi plant line # 2
    5 = Fujimatsu plant

Jonny Zero likes this.
  14. pichner

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Mine has this issue and was made at 1 = Tsutsumi plant line # 2

15. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Mine came from 5 = Fujimatsu plant. Windshield seems fine,

16. pichner

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I assumed the issue was related to the UV coating they put on the glass, I read a sound bite about it somewhere. They block 99% of UV rays or something along those lines. Maybe they use a couple different products to achieve this.

17. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yes and no. The UV layer is the plastic sheet laminated between the two sheets of glasses. Its main purpose is to hole the glass pieces in place when the windshield is broken. The side effect is that the plastic also blocks most of the UV.

The looser the lamination is, the more prism effect you get. The slope of the Prius windshield exaggerates this effect.

I suspect one windshield supplier is better than the other(s).

WE0H likes this.
  18. pichner

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Makes sense, I might have to tell Toyota they gave me a bum windshield :) even tho I kinda like it.

WE0H likes this.
  19. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If your driving it this winter there is a chance a chunk of sumthin will fly off a tire and get you a new windshield :) or it'll hit your hood instead :(

Mike

20. pichner

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have had that happen a couple times (hit the hood or a headlight lens) I hope to avoid that in the new car as long as possible!