1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius with 235K miles and a bad AC - replace?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Shurichka, Jan 27, 2022.

1. Shurichka

Shurichka New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a 2011 Prius with 235,000 miles that has been a great car and given virtually no problems. Unfortunately the AC went out last year which makes it impossible to drive in our summers. I called around at the time and it was around $3500 to have the AC replaced. If I can get another 100,000 miles out of the battery then it probably makes sense.

I purchased an OBDII device and the drprius app and the full battery test came out fine as all passed. I tried to do the life expectancy test twice and the app shuts off after about 2-3 minutes of battery draining...not sure why that is going on and I will try to run the test a few more times this weekend.

I looked online and it seems most folks do not get past 150,000 miles on their battery so it makes me think I might not have a lot of time left and it is probably not worth it to replace both the battery and the AC on this 2011.

So my questions are:

1) How many miles are folks getting with their 2011? Is 350,000 miles realistic?

2) Anyone have similar issues with the drprius app and if so, how did you fix it?

3) Do you think it is worth having the AC replaced?

Thanks

mikey_t likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1) no way of knowing on an overall basis or average

3) i would search around for second opinions on the fix, sand lowest cost

4) at your mileage, you do have to hope for the best, but prepare for the worst

Shurichka likes this.
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    With a car that old you'd be better off not spending too much money. Cheapest way would be taking it in and having the system evacuated, then taking it home and putting in a used compressor than take it back in and have them fill it up. DIY refill requires precise measuring of refrigerant, and oil and is hard to do. It can be done, but not easy.

mikey_t likes this.
  4. Shurichka

Shurichka New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I do not know that I could do a lot of DIY on it...not very mechanically inclined when it comes to cars. We have been using it as our "winter car" and it has been fine. I will probably just keep using it that way til the battery dies. Thanks for the input!

bisco likes this.