1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 - Setting The Timing Chain/Releasing the tensioner

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by An2TheTwan, Oct 25, 2022.

1. An2TheTwan

An2TheTwan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello all,

- I am looking for advice on how to set the timing chain.
    - I am also looking for advice on how to release the timing chain tensioner from the locked position.

I am in the middle of a head gasket change and I have preset the timing according to the Gasket Masters YouTube video. I am concerned because I heard even being one tooth off can cause issues.

Link to section of video:

approximately 11:50 seconds in.

#1 An2TheTwan, Oct 25, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Once the cover and tensioner are reinstalled, you put a slight counterclockwise force on the crankshaft. That pulls the chain taut on the tensioner side, which pushes on the tensioner enough to let the hook become loose and drop free. That's how you release it. Then you turn the crank clockwise some, which puts the chain slack over on the tensioner side, and the tensioner should ratchet out and take up the slack.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. An2TheTwan

An2TheTwan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have an embarrassing question. Is the crankshaft the spot inside the harmonic balancer? The thing I used to move the pistons up a down.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Affirmative.

An2TheTwan likes this.
  5. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You're turning the bolt head in the center of the balancer (pulley), which is centered on the end of the crankshaft.

An2TheTwan likes this.
  6. An2TheTwan

An2TheTwan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I preset the timing like the Gasket Masters video and did the whole shop towel thing. I am trying to reassembly the timing chain but my marks are not lining up.

IMG_20221030_164433087.jpg IMG_20221030_164500179.jpg IMG_20221030_164447296.jpg

Third photo not best. I will upload different photos/video later.

-Basically it seems no matter what I do, I'm about a half of link off.
    -I have an older chain (215k) and maybe its stretched. But if its stretched, wouldn't that make it easier to set so the marks line up correctly.

Looking for advice.

7. An2TheTwan

An2TheTwan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  8. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It looks like you're one whole link off on the intake sprocket. (Half is impossible.)
    Do you have the tensioner latched in retracted position?

9. An2TheTwan

An2TheTwan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Do you mean the guides or the timing chain tensioner? The timing chain tensioner does not get installed until after the timing chain cover is on.

At this phase, I should be able to get the colored links lined up with the corresponding grooves. If I placed the double colored link on the intake cam in line with its long groove, then the link on the exhaust and the link on the crankshaft is off.

10. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can't rotate the intake shaft to make everything line up properly?

11. An2TheTwan

An2TheTwan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was also wondering if we could do that, but I am not sure if that is recommended. I tried to pre set the timing in accordance to the gasket masters video.

11:30 seconds in

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Your primary reference for whether the chain is installed right is whether you have put the painted chain links against the right marks on all three sprockets. A gasket masters video can be a useful secondary reference, but if trying to follow that leaves you with the painted marks one tooth off for the intake, that's where you part ways with that secondary source and pay attention to the primary marks Toyota gave you.

it looks like if you go ahead and retard the intake one tooth more, you'll have the paint marks against the right teeth in all three places, no?

13. An2TheTwan

An2TheTwan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, I am not opposed to parting from the Gasket Masters video, looking for confirmation from members of the forum. Of course, I am open to discussing ideas with everyone.

Myself and my dad who has been helping me with the project have fiddled with the chain and we cannot get the marks to line up no matter how we position the chain.

14. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That looks easy to fix if you just rotate the exhaust sprocket one tooth counterclockwise. Be sure the other marked links are still positioned correctly, of course. The main point is to maintain correct angles of all three sprockets relative to each other.

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Leave the crankshaft and the exhaust cam and the chain alone, and turn the intake cam one tooth in the retard direction?

Let yourself remember that when Toyota assembled it, they were able to get the marks to line up, and you've got the same parts they had.

16. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  17. An2TheTwan

An2TheTwan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am open to doing that if that is not going to mess anything up. I did find a video which somebody does this. I guess what I am asking if anyone here has done this before or has known someone who has?

18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Your camshafts right now are in roughly the right positions for when pistons 1 and 4 are at top dead center. Exhaust is closer to correct, intake is about one tooth too far advanced. As long as the intake variable-timing gear is locked into its retarded position, where it belongs at the moment, those valves are closed enough for those pistons to cross TDC and not collide with them. If you were going to turn the camshafts any real distance, you would have to think about that. Turning just the intake one tooth back, not so much.

If you're still uneasy, just start by turning the crankshaft 40° or so away from TDC. Now none of the pistons are anywhere near the valves. Set the intake and exhaust sprockets in their correctly-timed positions with the chain across them and the colored links lined up. Then bring the crankshaft back to TDC and slip the chain on the crank sprocket with the yellow link lined up.

You might be contending a little bit with the valve springs on other cylinders, pushing the intake camshaft a little bit ahead of where you want it. In that case, it might be helpful to do what the repair manual says to do:

chain.png

As you can see in the drawing, you'd be using the wrench directly on the camshaft to turn it, not on the VVT sprocket.

I didn't see that detail mentioned in the gasket masters video, leading back to the familiar refrain that the repair manual is a good place to look, no matter how many videos are on youtube.

19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    An easy way to remember that: the first direction you turn it is “counter” to the usual. (y)

20. An2TheTwan

An2TheTwan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I assume I am removing the shop towel when holding the cam with a wrench and turning the gear?