1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Sienna Hybrid to get Lithium from Sanyo

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by usbseawolf2000, Aug 18, 2009.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Nice paper including this:

I had read somewhere that Li-ion batteries tend to have a finite life and now I have a source. I know that loss of water from NiMH appears to be the aging mechanism for NiMH cells and this can be replenished. But it looks as if Li-ion definitely have a built-in failure mechanism.

Bob Wilson

2. clett

clett New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It depends on the chemistry. There is a huge variety of lithium-ion chemistries available today, many much more advanced than the cobalt-oxide based varieties people are familiar with in their laptops and cameras. The titanate batteries, for example, have exceptionally long calender life and cycle life, even under harsh conditions.

1 person likes this.
  3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Perhaps we need to study the charge-discharge efficiencies of each chemistry versus a blanket statement? Not trying to be difficult but having found that not all 'standard parts' are interchangable . . . <grins>

Bob Wilson

4. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I saw it once from Toyota's internal document, but it is not shown in public.
    They use unnamed 19.2V 2.6Ah NiMH power tool pack for the experiment.
    The specifications are completely different between power tool pack and vehicle applications.

Ken@Japan

5. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

Nobody mentioned that Panasonic is purchasing Sanyo yet? It is pending regulatory approval...

6. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think everyone here is in agreement that the next gen prius will have Lithium Ion batteries. Just imagine what an improvement that will be. I'm wondering if the 40-80 sweet spot still holds true for those types of batteries.

7. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Depends on the chemistry of the battery, but in general - yes.

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is the answer Bob.
    Mount the Prius engine backwards in the engine bay of the VW van use the geared hubs to reverse the shaft direction and increase torque, both increasing rear wheel torque and allowing the rear facing engine which will fit the standard VW van engine bay better that way.