1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 stock radio poor reception

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by BayAreaPrius11, Dec 12, 2011.

1. BayAreaPrius11

BayAreaPrius11 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I see that the 2010 has poor radio reception but have not found a lot on the 2011. I just recently purchased a 2011 prius 2 with factory stereo and the reception quality is terrible :mad:. Can anyone with a 2011 with a factory stereo weigh in on this? How is your reception? If bad.. have you done anything to remedy this?

I have not spoke with the dealer about this yet because I want to see what others have to say.
    I should note that my reception on the same routes in my other vehicles is excellent. (94 accord and 2003 jetta)
    Thanks in advance.

2. rrg

rrg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2011 prius II and yes the reception is awfull on the stock radio. Standing still it worked OK. Moving it would lose reception very easy.

I then installed a Flyaudio and the strong channels seem to hold a little better but no where near my Sienna mini van or any other car I have owned.

I have tried fm filters with no improvement.

If you search you can read many of the same issues with most stock FM radios.

I have not read were a new stock radio has completely fixed the reception, yet.

Maybe someone with an upgrade radio can chime in if it really fixed the problem.

IMO it's the car or antenna wire is the problem.

3. Jeremy Harris

Jeremy Harris New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Same model car, same radio problem. There's a long, long, thread on here detailing everything that's been found so far.

Toyota haven't changed anything between the 2010 and 2011 model year cars to alter the radio performance, AFAIK.

4. maoira

maoira Junior Member

St Paul, MN (formally from San Diego, CA)
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I noticed that too. I listen to pandora through my iPhone anyway so it doesn't matter to me so much.

5. BayAreaPrius11

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thats a good idea. How consistent is your pandora reception out on the road? We have have AT&T but Ive never tried pandora while driving.

6. johalareewi

johalareewi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  7. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I use Pandora with Verizon Wireless here in NYC. There's an occasional drop out, but no more annoying than the Pandora commercials. Then again, what do you want for free?

8. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't know where you guys all live, but my reception if just fine, even when I lived in the hills of WV, terrestrial and sat.

9. Jeremy Harris

Jeremy Harris New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  10. BayAreaPrius11

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I didn't realize that toyota didn't make any changes. I actually looked over that thread your referencing but I didn't notice postings about the 2011 the first time.

I suppose a mod could delete this thread.