1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012-2015 differences

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by rjdriver, Apr 6, 2016.

1. rjdriver

rjdriver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    My 2012 C3 is in the body shop this week. While picking up a rental at Hertz, I noticed a C in the lot and decided to take it. The paperwork only showed the year. No indication of trim level. I suspect a 1 or 2. But it's not at all like the 1 or 2 from my 2012 year.

1. Gone are the two tone dashboard and door panels. All black now. An improvement IMHO, but still hard plastic. No padding.

2. Climate and air flow controls slightly different. Previous barely readable black on gray LCD replaced with gray on black. Also an improvement, but not much. Auto, Air, Off buttons moved to center of temp. control dial, leaving room to make the other buttons larger and easier to find and use

3. No key-less entry or push button start. I am used to only putting the key in my pocket when I get dressed in the morning and only taking it out at the of the day. For two days now I am constantly trying to unlock the door without it. Arrgghhh!

4. There IS a display audio unit. If they abandoned the radio that was in the 1 and 2 trim levels from 2012, that's definitely an improvement, but this thing seems crippled. No Map/GPS. No HD radio. No Satellite radio. No sign of Entune. And the real head scratcher is that the voice command system seems to be limited to phone control only. Different software/GUI on the screen. Glossy black plastic around the unit in place of the old matte black. Two dials for volume and tune smaller and recessed more, making them harder to use. Steering wheel controls same as always, so no need to anyway.

5. No center console/armrest. Really miss that. My right elbow feels lost - suspended in the air.

6. Shark fin. No more pole antenna.

7. The smaller display gauge in the upper dash has different screen selection. 5 minute consumption and three top mileage screens are gone.

That's all I have noticed so far. Ride and handling all feel the same.

2. InPriusLove

InPriusLove Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    If it is a rental car, it is likely 2016 model. 2015 has the 5 minute consumption measure. It otherwise sounds like the Trim 2, which lacks smart key and does not have the advanced audio package or nav. I am surprised you managed to find one there.

#2 InPriusLove, Apr 6, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  3. rjdriver

rjdriver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Had time to play a little more with the Display Audio unit in this new C, and even in this limited version there's some nice new stuff.

1. There's a much more pleasant, more human sounding female voice.
    2. It reads email and text messages to you, and displays them if you are not moving.
    3. It catalogs blue tooth music so you can now select by song, artist, or album

What are the chances I can do a software/firmware upgrade to my 2012 to get these features?

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Base models don't have SKS for all years. Only Three and higher have SKS. Also, the One continues with a one-piece front seatback with integrated headrests. Two and higher have adjustable front headrests. Lastly, the One has a one-piece full folding rear seat. Two and higher have 60/40 split folding rear seats.

2015 also brought Bi-LED headlights as standard equipment (vs. halogens on 2012-2014).

The basic unit is a 6.1" Entune Audio system with 4 speakers (so yes, they got rid of the regular radio headunit. All Prius c models have a touchscreen)

The Two adds 2 more speakers to bring it to 6-speakers

The Three and higher have a high resolution 6.1" Entune Premium Audio system with integrated navigation. (Toyota offers Scout GPS so it's now specifying those that have built-in nav).

For 2016, TSS-C is available.

5. rjdriver

rjdriver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Updated my Entune software today. From v 1.7.4 (2012 model year) to 5.1. Was disappointed to find that I did not get the new features found in 2015 and later, namely the one that reads email and text messages aloud. I had called Toyota earlier just to confirm the update file I downloaded was OK for my vehicle, and ask them if I would get the new interface and features I had seen in the 2015 rental. They said definitely NOT the new GUI, but "maybe" some of the features. She was not sure why the features were a "maybe", but I did not get them. All very odd.

#5 rjdriver, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  6. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Don't think I've ever updated my entune (or maybe dealer did on visits, but don't think so), but mine sure reads texts (in a robotic kind of way)...so most likely the culprit is it depends on what kind of phone you have

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @Tideland Prius : You could open a dealership and just sell Prius, you have them so nailed!

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah but then there's that whole business concept. The forum bypasses all that ;)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. rjdriver

rjdriver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I do get the notification on screen that a message has arrived. But I do not get offered the option to have it read to me. Have a Galaxy S5 with Android 5.1.1. I *did * get the read option in the rental with the same phone, so it's definitely an Entune thing.

#9 rjdriver, Apr 14, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  10. rjdriver

rjdriver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Finally come to the realization that the text reading option was not going to work for my car/year. So found an app that does it, plus a bit more. SMS Driving Assistant is how it is found in the Play Store, but in a stupid bit of counter-intuitive marketing, installs itself with the name Text Aloud. It took a bit of finagling with all the options (although it did the blue tooth part all by itself), but I now have it set up to announce when a text arrives, who it is from if it's someone in my contacts, or the phone number if not, and then asks if I want it read. You can set it up to automatically read, but that could be embarrassing, so I opted for the prompt.

When done reading it asks if you want to "call" the person who sent the text, reply by text, or just ignore. If you choose reply it beeps, which is your signal to talk. When you stop talking (not sure how long the delay is), it reads your reply back to you, and asks for confirmation before sending.

All in all quite nice. There is a lite version for free and a paid version for $3.99. Haven't figured out the differences yet. Am using the Lite one for now. But I have my fingers crossed on how long it will work. Had to go through at least a dozen other apps that all claimed to do the same thing, but either didn't do it well, had blue tooth inconsistency issues, or didn't work at all.