1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012-2015 Prius PHV: Custom PIDs for Torque Android App

Discussion in 'OBDII Android App' started by usbseawolf2000, Mar 10, 2012.

1. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    If you're serious about installing, you should check with your dealer.

So if someone doesn't have Cruise Control, shall I remove those PIDs as well? Then you shall see my list shrinking. It is not my intention to confuse people, but to include as many PIDs the Techstream has. I don't think it is right to deprive others of the options that you don't have.

Vincent

2. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    it's one thing if the option is available on some models but not others. but if the option is just not available on any models ever produced anywhere in the world, then yes, it is confusing. i mean, if you had a Camry, and there was a code for controlling the rear wiper…even though there is no Camry anywhere in the world that comes with a rear wiper…shouldn't this code be removed?

by the way, cruise control is standard on all models sold in the US.

3. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
  4. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    better to put a disclaimer a the top of the page of the thread indicating that NOT all the PIDs are available to all manufactured Prius vehicles around the globe; in that way we will accommodate the nagging users.

[email protected] likes this.
  5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I will put a notice as mrbigh suggested. I don't want to maintain separate lists per region/model. It is just too much work.

Any volunteer can start and maintain separate lists in separate threads. I can link to them.

6. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    sounds good to me
    ah, i see. i guess i'd argue for excluding it from the pip sheet. or do we have one set of sheets for all prius models?

7. Dan Henley

Dan Henley New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I somehow managed to disable my PiP, and was hoping I could share my story and get some advice on what I might have done wrong.

I purchased a Bluetooth ScanTool OBDLink MX from Amazon. This seems to be the one that is the fastest according to the Torque website. I was worried about buying an inexpensive one because it might cause problems (heh).

I installed Torque app on my Touchpad.

Connected the OBDLink MX to my PiP and started the car. Then I went to Torque and connected via Bluetooth. I then downloaded the PiP (US) 1-22-2013.zip and copied the following two files to .torque/extendedpids on my Touchpad:

PiP Adv (US).csv
    PiP Config.csv

Back in Torque, I went to Settings -> Manage extra PIDs/Sensors and added PiP Adv (US) and PiP Config.

I then went to Realtime Information and added held down until Item options popped up, then tapped Add display. I added a Digital Display and "State of Charge". I drove around and it read out exactly what I expected it to! Great!

Then I added a second display selecting Dial (Needle) and "Engine kW (At the wheels). This also worked as expected and showed me how much power I was applying. I adjusted the range so I could better see the amps.

I then pulled over and decided to deactivate the reverse beep. I added a Digital Display and "Reverse Beep Query". It showed 0. I then added an "On/Off display" and assigned "Reverse Beep Disable". Reverse Beep Query immediately displayed 64 and I then only received a single beep when putting it into reverse. I went ahead and deleted the two Reverse Beep related gauges and continued my drive; testing reverse a couple more times (just a single beep when engaged...perfect!).

Everything was looking good as I pulled into my garage for the night. I turned off my Touchpad and brought it with me; but left the ScanTool connected (was this my big mistake?). The next morning my wife pulled out and up the block. Red light comes on for ABS and the one that looks like you are skidding. She tried calling me, but my cell didn't ring. She was late so continued driving (I know). A little while further all the lights started lighting and the dreaded "Pull over when safe" message came up. She did so, and since she couldn't reach me she called the Toyota Dealer.

They had her drive 1 mile to the dealership (?!?). She reached me from there and I asked her to pull out the ScanTool. They checked the car out a little while later and cleared all codes. They road tested it and said this may have been caused by incorrect PDI. Note that I still only get a single beep when going into reverse; so that setting stuck.

Any advice on where I went astray? I am a bit afraid to re-connect my device. Being new to OBD (but not technology), I may have gotten ahead of myself here. Thanks for any advice, and sorry for the length of the post.

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Never a problem here, as long as the Bluetooth connection is broken. I left it active (connected to my phone) once. Even though the car was off... Whoa! It didn't like that upon startup later. The dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree.

Otherwise, I've had a splitter and two devices connected for 2 or 3 months now. It's been no big deal.

9. Dan Henley

Dan Henley New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I see. So the mistake I made was not turning off Bluetooth on my tablet before walking away. Or maybe there is a "disconnect" in a menu in Torque somewhere. That makes sense. Probably my tablet (in the house) and the car OBD adapter were trying to communicate as she left; and when she got out of range gibberish got injected into the ECU: bammo...dashboard Christmas-tree. Thanks!

10. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Dan,

I had something similar happen when I first started "torquing". I had my $25 OBD adapter plugged in but I wasn't logging, from what I recall. As I was driving, the traction control light came on, don't remember if abs was on, but I want to say it was. It was a short drive so when I pulled into the parking lot, I shut the car off and pulled out the adapter. After that, I never saw that happen again. This was a year ago, so I don't remember all the details. But bottom line, it's nothing I think you need to be concerned with. Now that I think about it, I kind of remember thinking it had something to do with the OBD2 connection, like I unplugged it while the car was on or something. I can't remember..

Second, when you are going through the PID list, you know how it shows as green if the PID is available (or data is available)? When you scroll through that list, Torque is basically "sending" that PID to the computer and checking for a response. That's how Torque knows there is data available for any given PID.

The problem is, if you're using the configuration PID list, when you scroll through that list (while connected to the car), it could be sending all kinds of PIDs to the computer and getting a response. Like the seat belt one, for example, there's a PID to enable and one to disable. If you send the enable , you get a response. If you send the disable, you get a different response. And imagine its doing this as you scroll through the list.

When I first started playing with Torque, I had some weird screens come up on my MFD, something about Configuration Mode. After that, I tried not to scroll through the list of PIDs if the car was on (I would set up my screens and PIDs when the tablet wasn't connected to the car).

Anyway, that's my understanding/experience. I don't think you need to worry about it. But once you are done with the configuration PIDs, I would just get rid of it (remove from Torque). Just use the one without the config PIDs and you shouldn't have any issues.

lensovet likes this.
  11. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just to add something else... This has happened to me once when I had 2006 Prius. My "kicked" my OBDII device and it got loose (partially connected) to the OBDII port. That triggered traction control light.

You may want to check with your wife if she touched it with her foot... just to confirm/rule out what might have happened.

12. Dan Henley

Dan Henley New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for the detailed response Tracksyde! I had no idea that was how Torque was scanning...but had wondered why some were green and others black. Thanks for clarifying this. Based on what you described, I think it would be better for me to leave the list blank and just use it as a reference from my computer...manually adding only what I need.

This is also a distinct possibility. Since she did not know it was there; she may have bumped it. I need to remember to always alert her when I'm modifying our vehicle ;-)

Thanks to everyone for the helpful responses. I now feel confident to try using my OBDLink again with a bit more knowledge under my belt.

13. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there a PID where you can see the miles until engine start count down (regarding the 124 miles in EV safety warm up)?

14. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This would be PiP specific PID. Until someone gets a hold of PiP service manual, we won't know to implement it.

Edit: Have you tried Engine Run Time (Time since Ign-On)? That PID is in the Advanced list.

mrbigh likes this.
  15. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    So if I've already installed the PID's for the Gen3 would they all work for the PiP or do I need different ones?

16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A lot of them are the same but some regarding the battery are different, due to the difference in Lithium modules.

17. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Makes sense. Will they just not work or will they spit out wrong numbers? And I should be able to disable beeps without problems right?

18. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, turning off reverse beep and seat belt beep are the same between PiP and regular.

19. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I made this mistake, scrolling thru the list while connected to the ECU. I meant to disable the backup beep only. I had gone into the edit function and ran test. That worked. Then later I noticed my seat belt warnings were disabled. I don't know if the battery fan settings had been changed. How would I know and what would I do to set it back to the default?

20. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Neither of the gas flow rate PIDs are working for me. Anyone experiencing this or know of a work around?