1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 3rd Gen Codes P0117, P 148F

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by LoveMPGJm, Sep 6, 2022.

1. LoveMPGJm

LoveMPGJm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is my first problem since it was newly purchased in '12.
    I tried to leave town but 15 miles in I got check engine and Red Tem gauge flashing so pulled over at station.

Coolant was lower than when I began, so I added some, had the codes checked, waited a bit and tried to drive home.
    10 miles in it happened again and noticed the coolant had blown out the passenger side of my car and something was dripping through the tire on that side.

No leaks on my garage floor or crystalization in the engine area previous to this. All the levels were checked and full before I left. It has been sounding a little rough but no knocking or noticeable. I thought I was being a little paranoid. I only drive it 10 miles a week since covid.

Codes before the Tow were: P0117, P148F

Towed it to shop and they want to replace the Water Pump $750. They also suspect the Inverter pump is not functioning properly due to high temp when testing (voltage and ground present) want to replace it for $650.
    Any advice would be really appreciated.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Probably heading down the right track but I wouldn't want to be paying that for that old car but then again that's probably pretty normal in your area so if you're not willing to pick up a wrench then that's what you got to do.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    P148F means the water pump motor was spinning too fast, which means, for one reason or another, it wasn't pumping water. Either the impeller in the pump had broken, or there had been coolant lost and the pump was spinning in air.

Either way, if the water pump isn't pumping water, the engine is likely to overheat. The P0117 indicates an electrically low input from the engine temperature sensor circuit. Because the temperature sensor is a negative-temperature-coefficient thermistor (its resistance gets lower as the engine gets hotter), if you see a P0117 code, it either means the sensor wiring is shorted together, or the wiring is fine and the engine is very hot (like in the neighborhood of 140 ℃ or 284 ℉, ouch!).

Notice that if you have an OBD tool set up to show you engine coolant temperature, it might not look super hot when you have a P0117 showing. That's because the ECM assumes the sensor or wiring might be shorted, and it just substitutes an 80 ℃ reading instead of believing the signal. But if you ever have both a non-pumping water pump and a P0117, maybe you should consider that the signal from the temp sensor could be for real.

[​IMG]

4. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The car will shut down at 224F.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It will stop the engine (at 221 ℉, 105 ℃), if there is one of the original water pump codes showing; P261B, C, or D.

P148F is also a water pump code, but it was added for model year 2011, and I don't know for sure if the engine-stop rule was updated to include it. That might be mentioned in a 2011 repair manual, which I don't have readily at hand.