1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 bought with 157k miles

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by AW82, Mar 25, 2021.

1. AW82

AW82 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So, considering my mileage and the oil change history... And the general opinion that once you switch to high mileage oil you shouldn't switch back...

Should I stick with regular synthetic or go with high mileage since I don't know what they used? The oil changes the last several years were at various Toyota, Nissan, and Hyundai dealerships (why?....). Would those be likely to offer high mileage oil?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would not start with high mileage oil; see how it goes first. As you say, once you start with that stuff it’s best to stick with it.

3. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    have you called the dealerships and ask what they would use for your car/milage ?

send off a sample for testing. then you'll know if it's time to fix something of just drive it, as opposed to worrying.

4. AW82

AW82 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, that is an interesting idea. I called the dealership that did the most recent few oil changes and gave them the VIN. The guy seemed like he was in a bit of a hurry and I'm not sure if he looked at the actual service records, but he said "that vehicle uses 0W20 synthetic only" and when I asked about high mileage formulations he said "no, there are no high mileage 0W20 oils." I know that last statement isn't true, but it at least makes me confident that dealership wouldn't have put high mileage formulation in this car. And also that they only used synthetic even though the car was on a 5k mile OCI.

I ordered a Blackstone sample kit.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    toyota does not recommend anything beyond the initial oil when new, to my knowledge.

you have to dive deeper than the dealer or manufacturer.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. AW82

AW82 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Meaning taste test? er, oil analysis? Are the additives that measurable?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm mean due diligence on high mileage oils from reputable sources, if thatis the direction you're considering.

8. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Confident in that Dealer shmealer? I wouldn’t be confident of their knowledge if he said high mileage formulation doesn’t come in 0w-20. In fact, I’d delete the number from my outbound recent calls and never speak of it again.

9. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You could go with the new GF6-A spec for a better oil. Not GF6-B.

It is not a given that a dealer or oil change pace will use GF-6A. Most will probably give you a deer in the headlights look. First licensing date and use of GF-6A was May 1, 2020.

"GF-6 motor oils will deliver the following performance benefits: improved fuel economy and lower emissions, better deposit control, and greater protection against timing chain wear and Low Speed Pre-Ignition (LSPI)."

The problem with these engines is not really age related wear. Usually blown engines have little or no bearing wear because they always had full synthetic (although some dealers may have used bulk synthetic blends).

The poor piston and piston ring design in our 2010-14 engines often lead to stuck rings. Toyota knew they were bad and offered warranty replacements during the powertrain warranty, but only if you lost a quart in 1200 miles.

When rings are stuck in their groves they tend to cause uneven wear in the cylinder which starts excessive oil consumption. Once started it gets worse. Increased blowby results from larger piston ring to wall clearances which results in more pcv and egr hydrocarbons in the intake manifold. Leaking head gaskets often result which may lead to hydrolock for the fake facts crowd. Then a rod can break causing mass destruction including a hole in the block.

Changing the oil frequently may keep the rings from sticking.

#29 rjparker, Mar 26, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  10. AW82

AW82 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looks like Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Platinum both meet GF-6A.

11. AW82

AW82 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Only confident that if the guy believes high mileage 0W20 doesn't exist then they probably wouldn't have used it! But yeah, my confidence in "service advisors" is next to nil anyway.

12. AW82

AW82 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Having never driven a low-mileage Prius...what does a rough start feel like? I'm thinking primarily about start/stop cycles while driving. Mine generally feel like I've just driven over an expansion joint in the pavement....a little bit of a bump in my butt. Generally the same on start and stop, though sometimes the stop/shutoffs are less noticeable.

(slap me if I'm overanalyzing :LOL:)

13. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Remember service advisors are on commission and are not mechanics
    Pretty much just like yours. The MIG electric motor spins the engine to a much higher rpm than a traditional starter which makes it start faster and smoother. Hard to feel if you are driving but you know it when you are not moving.

#33 rjparker, Mar 26, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    One of the earlier posts looked like it was about the "other" Prius brake issue, the one where rotors get rusty and sound terrible after being parked in the damp. If we put the brake problems in order by prevalence, this one's on top: I have never (yet!) had to replace an actuator or accumulator on any Prius I've owned, but I have to deal with the horrid scraping sound every time I drive after a night in the rain.

Of course that's not an expensive issue. It goes away just through doing enough friction braking to clean off the rotors. The quick way, if I am driving away and notice the scraping sound, is to shift into neutral for the next couple of stops. No need to brake extra hard; using neutral forces those stops to be done entirely with friction.

It is an expensive issue if you're unaware of it. There was a thread here where an owner posted about going to the dealer every time that awful noise came back, and the dealer happily doing a $900 brake job every time and never mentioning "you know, you could make a couple stops in neutral and the noise would go away."

It may help to kind of break that fact check into pieces. The first part (EGR reduces emissions by lowering the peak combustion temps below where NOx is formed, and improves MPG by reducing pumping loss) isn't in doubt; those are the exact engineering reasons why the car has EGR.

Where the PriusChat theorizing comes in is with the later steps: (a) does Gen 3 have an excessive share of head gasket problems? (b) if it does, is there some connection between those and clogged EGR? (c) if it does and there is a connection, is "higher loaded temps" the explanation of the connection?

There seems to be pretty fair support for (a), that Gen 3s are having more head gasket problems than you'd expect. That's not just from owner posts about it on PriusChat (just about all problems are overrepresented in owner posts, because millions of owners who aren't having problems don't join PriusChat and don't post); it's also in posts by members whose shops are getting lots of Gen 3 head gasket work.

Step (b), some connection between the gasket failures and EGR clogging, seems to have some level of anecdotal support on PriusChat, though drawing conclusions about it is near-hopeless at this point because there are so many posts around saying it's so that any time a new member is having a misfiring issue of any kind, they read all the existing threads and then start a new one saying "OMG I have the head gasket because EGR right?!" and that promptly gets counted as new usable evidence.

Step (c), the idea that if Gen 3 has a head gasket issue and if it has some connection to EGR clogging, then the "higher loaded temps" are what is doing in the head gaskets, seems to be the most tenuous. Even if the connection is real, to find out whether this could even possibly be the explanation would pretty much have to start by finding out what temperatures harm head gaskets and what the temperatures are in cylinders with and without EGR, and whether they are close, overlapping, or not close at all. Even if it survives that step (which no one has done yet), it would still have to be compared with other candidate ways of explaining the same connection.

Mr. F, burebista and mikey_t like this.
  15. AW82

AW82 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Got the pipe off. Maybe not as bad as expected.

Attached Files:

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That’s about as expected with those miles. I think you’ll find the cooler/valve pretty socked-in, ditto for the small egr passages in intake manifold.

more info:

Bad Flywheel | PriusChat

17. AW82

AW82 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Again, not as bad as I was expecting! That's cyl 1.

Oh, and only a tsp of oil in the manifold. Will still do occ since I have all the parts on hand

Attached Files:

mikey_t and Mendel Leisk like this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah as you say, not blocked. But maddening none the less, how that carbon shellac builds up. :mad:

Awaitin’ cooler/valve pics. :)

19. AW82

AW82 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, they might be attached to the engine. I still haven't decided whether I want to do that myself.

By the way, somethingyou said in another thread about not having to disconnect coolant lines to the throttle body was a great tip. A couple zip tie worked well.

Attached Files:

Raytheeagle, Mendel Leisk and mikey_t like this.
  20. mikey_t

mikey_t Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My EGR pipe and manifold looked similar but the EGR cooler was completely clogged. If you can, maybe point a flashlight into it and try to get a peek in there.

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.