1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 C3 w/ 165K, Hybrid Battery time? P0a80 & SOC 39%

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rhkcommander, Apr 20, 2023.

1. rhkcommander

rhkcommander New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hello, long time lurker, excuse my brevity but I screwed up my OP when trying to add a photo and lost a ton of text...

My prius got the dreaded p0a80, at ~ 165k miles, 2012 and I'm the original owner. Dr.Prius says my delta SOC is 39%, my reading here made it look like anything past ~8% was bad. All of the module block voltages drop except 7-9, sporadically while I watched on the Dr.Prius app.

Still have the original 12V and hybrid batteries. Got a full-size prius 12v battery after a 6 hour round trip (on accident, thought it was the c-variant), but the height is the same - just different width/length so I may try to shoehorn it in, ~11 years on the 12V is pretty good and I don't want to get stranded if the hybrid battery flat out fails.

I saw green bean has a earth day discount, are there any other good options? OEM from japan is probably 3-4K. Or I can roll the dice, play whack-a-mole with each module with ebay-junkyard salvage? The individual salvaged/"refurb" modules are much cheaper, but there's no telling if they came out at 20K or 200K aside from charge/discharge testing I suppose?

Thanks for any help.

priusCerror.jpg

5&6 were low most of the time, but I saw all but 7-9 go low at different times during a short trip. The yellow results were from braking regeneration.

I saw a guide posted here before about testing the modules and what not, but can't find it again... any chance for someone to post the URL? Thanks again

2. rhkcommander

rhkcommander New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Well after calling the dealers and finding out it would be about $2600 for a new battery plus labor, I opted for the Green Bean with 3-year warranty instead of the lifetime. Might be a mistake there, but I was already stretched thin, another $300 for a lifetime warranty would be hard to do. With the earth day coupon it came out to around $1299. Fingers crossed, I was tempted to play whack a mole with the ebay refurbs but I don't have that much time in life either so I'll take the hit from GB.

bisco likes this.
  3. PriusII&C

PriusII&C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What's Delta SOC? 38% seems extremely high.

4. rhkcommander

rhkcommander New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    SOC is short for State of Charge, Delta SOC means the difference between the level of charge between the modules I believe, and 38% would be a lot!

I asked Green Bean about their lifetime warranty, that discount code Earth399 wouldn't be allowed so it would have cost me $674 for lifetime. They said the battery only lasts about 3-5 years so now I'm thinking about playing whack-a-mole again and tearing the battery apart, sorting the cells, and getting used ones and matching up 10x.

5. Raphell

Raphell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hybrid2go has a lifetime warranty standard at no extra cost if you live in a state that the cover. They also have a $200 off promo right now.