1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 C4 Hybrid Batteries Replacement.

Discussion in 'Prius c Technical Discussion' started by DKTVAV, Jun 15, 2019.

1. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    My daughter's car 2012 C4 with ~65,000 miles, I gave it to her three years ago, was having the error message "check hybrid system stop the vehicle in a safe place" but she still can drive it. Her boyfriend reset the message by disconnect the battery cable but it keeps coming back. First brought it to a local dealer they said they'll charge $185 maintenance fee for cleaning and replacing the exhaust fan. Left and saw a local Japanese Repair Shop to see if they charge less for it but they said it's the hybrid batteries problem and needed to go back to the dealer under warranty (still under my name). Call that dealer back they quoted $150 diagnostic fee (other dealer at $175) and if it's the batteries' problem there won't be any charge for that. Luckily it is and still covered by Toyota. Also she'll get a free loaner too tomorrow.

Only ~65K miles in 7 years, bought in June 2012, the hybrid batteries gone bad? I've heard they lasted more than 200K miles. Not sure how many years would be covered for the replacement.

2. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Actually from what I've read here at PC it seems the batteries in cars can indeed go for a very long time. The thing is they need to be used (driven). Again from reading here at PC it seems these batteries don't do well in a Prius' that just sits around most of the time.

But good to hear you were still under warranty. Now she's got a low mileage car with a brand new battery!

Montgomery likes this.
  3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The c seems to be slightly harder on its batteries than the liftback.

Overheated battery can give this symptom without being a permanent problem.

The battery cooling fan does need regular cleaning- at least annually. It can be an easy DIY with a vacuum cleaner, even down at the carwash.

Now if it's been missed for too long it might need a deeper cleaning going into disassembly and pro territory. Just keep in mind that a well-cooled battery lasts longest, and they get all of their cooling by breathing cabin air through those vents under the rear seat.

Montgomery likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the c gets 8/100 on the battery, so you're lucky if that's the problem, you just made it.

the batteries regularly last 150k or more, but there is the occasional defect.

you hit the lottery, sorry!

5. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Anyone knows the warranty for the replacement?

And if I transfer the title to her name/sell to someone: is it still covered under new owner?

6. John in Vermont

John in Vermont Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    All the dealer said was that there was a battery problem, not that the battery failed and was going to be replaced, Please report back what repairs were done.
    John W

7. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Re-read my post you'll figure it out. Well:

1. First, they wanted $185 maintenance fee for cleaning and replacing the exhaust fan to see if it helps. Left.
    2. Stop by a local Japanese repair shop and they're 100% sure hybrid batteries problem and suggested to get back to the dealer.
    3. Back to the dealer and they agreed to do the diagnostic (need to pay $150 fee if Not failed batteries).
    4. It IS and gotta wait for approval from Toyota.
    5. Got a Free loaner while waiting for approval.

Update: they call the batteries pack arrived today and will be done by the end of tomorrow.

dubit likes this.