1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Camry - time for new traction battery?

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by rwheels, Nov 17, 2022.

1. rwheels

rwheels New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Folks,

We have a 2012 Camry Hybrid with ~165k on it.

This morning, the 'Check Hybrid System' warning appeared on the dash with a few other lights:
    messages_0.jpeg

I downloaded Dr. Prius for the first time and used an old Bluetooth OBDII dongle:
    Screenshot_20221117-105144.jpg

Does this definitively point to a traction battery that needs to be replaced? Or are there other things to be checked before making that decision?

FWIW - After taking the above screenshot, I cleared a code P0a80 with Torque. The 'Check Hybrid System' and other warning lights cleared from the dash. I switched back to Dr. Prius, and now block 11 looks average, and block 4 looks low:
    Screenshot_20221117-110322.jpg

Thanks!

2. rwheels

rwheels New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Also - forgot to note that Dr. Prius life expectancy test showed ~25%. I have NOT yet run a full battery test, but will once I've got a few minutes to find an open stretch of road.

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Corrosion of the pack's bus bars have been known to cause a 'bad battery' code. Replacing and cleaning up the connection can fix it. Got to pull the pack out to check though.

4. rwheels

rwheels New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the reply.

I went ahead and pulled the HV battery following a youtube video.

Looks like there is some corrosion, but nothing that seems extreme to me:
    PXL_20221118_232124463.jpg PXL_20221118_231650534.jpg PXL_20221118_231630461.jpg

I presume at this point it's worth a try to clean those bus bars and see if it helps, or replace with some nickel plated ones?

If I don't have any special equipment beyond a pretty basic multimeter, I presume I should probably not attempt to balance the modules?

There seem to be mixed opinions on 'rotating' the blocks - is that something you all would recommend?

Thanks!

5. Led

Led Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    First, do not use the nickel plated bars. Dr. Prius has a video why on his YouTube channel.

Second, my wife drives a 2013 Avalon. Its battery was upgraded with a Lithium pack last December. I don’t regret spending the money. It’s been flawless.

Thanks
    Stephen