1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Camry XLE Hybrid vs Gen III Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by saginus, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The 2012 Prii all use Softex, a synthetic leatherish material. Toyota thinks just because we don't want to use lots of oil and contribute pollution we don't like leather n burgers!:p

2. Kingetula

Kingetula New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Mine has the upgrades... JBL, 7inch screen etc... Can't remember the name of the package but I told the sales guy... Find one fully loaded and he did... The only thing I couldn't find is the sunroof wind guard lol.

I asked my wife today on our ride, minus gas mpg, what car do you like more. She told me the Camry :eek: just more comfortable... If the Camry got 51mpg I am sure prius vs camry, camry wins.

1 person likes this.
  3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're looking for comfort and luxury, the Camry XLE Hybrid wins. Loaded up, it has leather/ultrasuede seats, wonderfully designed dashboard, cool metallic-tech trim, copious amount of passenger space and it's quiet on the road (great highway cruiser). It's also quite a bit more powerful and with a smooth power delivery, it can feel almost as powerful as your A6 3.0.

If you want the latest tech, then the Prius is for you. The Prius Five w/ AT loads up some luxury-car tech such as Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, Pre-Collision System, Heads-Up Display, Premium HDD navigation on a high-res 7" Split-Screen Display, LED low beam headlights w/ LED parking lights and LED DRLs, Safety Connect telematics and Entune Multimedia (this can be found on the Camry as well). You also get the cargo utility of a hatchback. You can also order a Solar Roof option on the Prius Three and Prius Four models.

In the Prius, the leather is SofTex synthetic eco leather. It's 50% lighter than leather and produced 99% less VOCs in the manufacturing process.

The Prius v is the wagon version with 56% more cargo space than the Prius Liftback and the top model also has a panoramic resin moonroof (fixed) as well as Advanced Parking Guidance System in lieu of the Heads-Up Display. You do lose some mpg in the process.

1 person likes this.
  4. rosethornil

rosethornil Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    When my 2003 Camry hit 170,000 miles, I went new car shopping with EVERY intention of getting a Prius (Five), but then I hit a couple snags:

1) Prius (Five) didn't have the moonroof. That was a MUST.
    2) Prius (Four) had the moonroof, but it had (what I considered to be) not-so-attractive wheels.

I know that sounds like a minor point, but looks are a big deal to me, and I didn't like the alloys on the Prius Four.

Hubby and I took a 600-mile trip and we rented a 2012 Prius so we could get a feel for the comfort and performance. I loved the performance but it wasn't as comfortable as I'd hoped. The seats seemed hard.

When I returned the rental car, I went to to the Toyota dealer and saw the Prius V and fell completely in love. And then when I took it out for a test-drive, I didn't like the interior. Too much plastic for my tastes.

For several days, I really agonized over the Prius, Prius V or the Camry XLE, and in the end, I went with the Camry XLE with the upgraded radio, Sat-Nav, leather, sunroof, etc.

I've now got 1,700 miles on my shiny new car, and I am in love.

The ride is so fine and it's a beautiful car and it's very peppy. Most of my miles are in town, and with some BHGT driving ("blue-haired granny type"), I'm getting high 40s in town and sometimes, into the 50s.

I'm a real car buff (two years of auto-tech, back in the carburetor days), and this 2012 Camry XLE is one of the finest things I've seen to roll off an assembly line.

[​IMG]

5. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We tested the Prius V, Prius Four and the Camry XLE. After the Prius Four, I did not like the Camry dash and displays. I did like the position of the driver door arm rest on the Camry as it permits me to splay my leg out more, but the P4 is better than the outback it replaced.

I also felt that I would be missing the full hybrid experience in the THC. (Interesting point, I was replacing a 1997 Camry)

After 2500 miles and six weeks, I absolutely am thrilled with our decision of the P4 w/ solar.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats on the new Camry XLE Hybrid! It is a fantastic automobile. Smooth, refined, quiet and powerful.

7. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The new HyCam is definitely the car I would recommend to people who want a more "normal" vehicle!:p Not much of a trunk, even though it's a little better now, but the ride is sweet!