1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Engine removal

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Michael48, May 14, 2018.

1. Michael48

Michael48 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok,

Just got finished pulling my engine from my 2012 Prius 2. Here are the steps as well as I can list.

Jack up car and remove right front wheel.
    Disconnect negative lead of battery.
    Remove hybrid battery orange safety disconnect.
    At this time, I put my battery on a slow trickle charge.
    Wearing electrically safe gloves, remove the invertor top cover. Test for voltage with a voltmeter before proceeding. I waited 5 mins after the clip was disconnected just for general practice. When voltage shows zero, remove all the bolts holding the orange wire terminals to the invertor. Pull the connectors loose and tape up the wire ends to protect them.
    Remove cowling, wiper transmission and arms, lower cover, and securing bracket that lower cover bolts to in middle of the firewall.
    Remove all the clips and hardware and remove the lower engine cover.
    Drain the coolant and the oil. My oil pan filled up more then usual due to the coolant in the crankcase from a bad head gasket.
    While under the vehicle, remove the engine to transmission bolts, and the two exhaust manifold to pipe bolts. Disconnect the oxygen sensor connector.
    Remove air cleaner, ducting, wiring clips, fuel hose connection (make sure no pressure), connectors going to sensors, and basically anything that might be attaching the engine to the transmission or the vehicle. Remove clamps and hoses, intake manifold with throttle body, egr cooler, and move wiring harnesses all to the right of the engine securing them out of way over the transmission.
    Remove the water pump, front engine mount (don't forget 14 mm deep socket for nut underneath holding both brackets together), and unbolt AC compressor and secure with wire ties or bungee cords.
    The large coolant hose at the back of the engine will pull loose as long as you have loosened the clamps.
    Move AC lines as much as possible to enable the engine to lift.

Now, as long as everything has been disconnected, jack up the lift slightly and ensure clearance of hoses, pipes, brackets, etc.
    Pull engine toward the passenger side of the car gently to disengage the transmission and flywheel. Its a tight fit but it works. Once I had engine lifting, I turned it slightly so manifold and windshield were no longer an issue and lifted it out.

I get my replacement engine tomorrow so I'll post later if there is any trouble going back together.

Tried to add my album but couldn't figure it out so click on link to see pictures...or, someone can please explain to me how to get my album pics to show up?

Engine removal pictures | PriusChat

#1 Michael48, May 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 15, 2018
    Mendel Leisk, m.wynn, Joele3 and 3 others like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks, all the best with the replacement!(y)

3. Michael48

Michael48 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I ended up buying a JDM engine which came with everything attached. Going back in, I left the egr cooler, intake manifold, injectors, and fuel rail attached. It went in fine except in my haste while my daughter lowered the engine hoist, forgot to watch the windshield and clipped it, cracking on the edge. I'm hoping it will stay together and not send a giant crack up the middle. So its all in, hooked up hoses, clamps, connectors, etc. and I get hybrid warning system error. I do a scan and find temp sensor low and high circuit so I find the connector not on the temp sensor. Clear the codes, now code free. The hybrid warning error won't go away and the engine will not crank. The engine was shipped with the factory ecm and i'm wondering if it needs to be used. I don't see why though. Engine bolted to transmission fine and I don't see any other problems. Scan for codes, still nothing. Any ideas?

Tranhoang21 likes this.
  4. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Did you slide the orange safety disconnect handle to the right after you latched it?

5. Michael48

Michael48 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lol. No. That was it

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Oh that's good to hear. (y)

7. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for the step by step above! On the windshield, I have heard about that problem. I used several layers of folded card board and duct tape to protect the edge and sure enough, bumped it with some tools. No damage done, but maybe some wood with a groove in it would be better protection?

Just wondering whether the inverter cables could have been left in place. I know the book method for removal is from the bottom so this point wouldn't be covered in a shop manual.

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe foam tubing pipe insulation? It has a longitudinal slit, for pushing onto pipes, you could push some onto that lower windshield edge. Maybe tape it on too.

upload_2020-1-12_8-25-42.png

Cosmo Tigato, RMB and Ed Beaty like this.
  9. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yes, I have thought of that as well. I think a higher density foam would be better but clearly anything at all is better than nothing.

10. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Any thoughts on whether the inverter cables should be removed before the engine?

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In the first 2~3 minutes of the first video of this engine swap series, he disconnects the 12 volt negative lead, but that's all; he doesn't touch the hybrid battery safety switch or whatever it's called:

Swapping in a Gen 4 Prius' 2ZR Engine into the Prius v | PriusChat

Further in IIRC he has to unbolt the AC compressor, which has a high voltage orange cable connected. Maybe he just leaves it connected, unbolts and ties it out of the way? I know no AC coolant lines are disconnected.

That's a must-watch series btw. Informative and funny, watch it all. It's a Prius v, but basically the same.

Cosmo Tigato likes this.
  12. Cosmo Tigato

Cosmo Tigato Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No need to remove inverter or orange plug, you don't even have to disconnect the 12v battery...
    Just make sure you don't push the Power Button until all your sensors are plugged back in.

Here is a thread that covers a lot of stuff:
    Just Bought a 2012 For $700 with a Blown Head Gasket | PriusChat

#12 Cosmo Tigato, Jan 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  13. Cosmo Tigato

Cosmo Tigato Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you don't pull or drop in the engine with the exhaust manifold attached,
    there will be almost 6 to 9 inches of space between the engine and the glass.

upload_2020-1-20_20-43-41.jpeg

Aaron Vitolins and tony_2018 like this.
  14. tony_2018

tony_2018 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Dude, what rope did you use to get the engine out like that? LOL.

15. tony_2018

tony_2018 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hey where did you buy your engine from?

16. ozmatt

ozmatt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model: