1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Entune Cannot Start?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by kat52688, Jul 30, 2015.

1. kat52688

kat52688 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When I turn my car on, the radio works but the system itself never fully boots up. The toyota logo appears for a second then black screen and logo reappears. The cycle never ends (1hr commute today.) It worked perfectly fine yesterday when I used the GPS; but, today when I tried to play music from phone to car with bluetooth, this cycle occurred.

I contacted dealership and my 36k/3yr warranty expired and they are wanting to charge diagnostic fee to look at it then figure out price afterwards.

Anybody else have this issue? I take excellent care of my car and have never done anything that should cause this to have failed within 3yrs of ownership.

Other thing to note, I've never done a firmware update on the system and possibly doing an update could fix it? I assumed the dealership was doing this every time I took my car in to have it looked at every 5k miles.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are you talking about entune specifically, or is the whole screen constantly rebooting?

3. kat52688

kat52688 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Believe entune specifically because my radio works. I press the audio and can change FM to AM but that's it. When I press Apps, it does the Toyota logo then black screen. It never loads the navigation, pandora, traffic, bing, ect.... I cannot use the bluetooth to connect to my phone or play music with usb drive.

4. kat52688

kat52688 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Really sucks cause I've been reading around and some people say that they take it in and the dealership says the unit itself is defective and needs to be replaced. Would be fine if it were still under warranty but I'm 5k over. A few months ago I had this issue (where Entune would take a few attempts at booting up) before but it would work after about 5 or so attempts. I figured no big deal or reason to worry because it worked in the end... now it's not even working after an hour of attempting now!

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i suppose you could shop around for a replacement unit, ebay? or an aftermarket. otherwise, bite the bullet and pay them the diagnostic fee. if it's an expensive fix, you could ask toyota for help since you're just over the warranty.

6. trentofdestiny

trentofdestiny Master Finagler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I would try to get to the screen where you can install the entune update. I don't remember if you must select it or if it pops up when you insert the update usb stick. But it might need the software reinstalled/updated which you might be able to do yourself

iPhone ?