1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Gas Price surge is likely over

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by ralleia, Apr 13, 2012.

1. ralleia

ralleia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This was on the front page of USA Today this past Wednesday, April 11th 2012. Pasted here for ease of reading, links below.

I am hoping that over time this will encourage the hybrid and alt fuel car dealers to open with a more reasonable position regarding their prices. :rolleyes:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

2012's gas price surge appears over

Gas-price surge in '12 likely is over - USATODAY.com

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If only some people would realize lower demand can lead to lower prices. I have no problem putting $2 gas into a Prius. Just because gas is $2 doesn't mean I'm going to run out and go yippeeee! ... now I can buy a full size pickup for going to the grocery store.

Far as Prius price ... it's a little painful to see every Friday's paper with Prius Two priced from $2 to $3k over a Camry L and $7k over a Corolla.

3. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's why I alway buy used cars.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Unfortunately, when gas gets "cheap" (say is $3.xx/gallon), some folks decide it's a "good" time to go buy a monstrosity class (full-sized) SUVs so they can drive only themselves or a small child or two around...:rolleyes:

Gas has definitely been heading down. Two stations that peaked at $4.33/gal for regular that I frequently pass have been headed down lately. They're now down to $4.17 or $4.19/gal. It's interesting to finally see some <$4/gal entries at http://www.sanjosegasprices.com/ but all those are way far away from me and not even close to being worth the trip there to get gas.

5. rebenson

rebenson Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I wouldn't count on that, it will go up again...

6. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

i think Camry Hybrid is perfect example on how hybrids pay off easily.

Prius on the other hand cant be compared to Corolla... my wife had Auris for 3 years and G2 as well for 3 years and Prius is much bigger car, and overall higher class car.

Compared to Camry L, it also has a lot more equipment.

7. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    History suggests otherwise. Summer is typically a time of higher demand and oil companies usually respond with higher prices due to "maintentance on refineries".

If you look at the dip due to recession and follow the trend before and after, up and to highest levels ever seem most likely. US. US is still in recession oil use numbers, so as economy improves, US oil use would rebound by 20% likely driving prices higher as US and world demand increase with economic activity.

A good time for US to raise gas tax by $0.50 dedicated to paying off the $14T in debt due mostly to 30 year arms buildup and 20 years of oil wars.

[​IMG]

InflationData: Gasoline Inflation

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    While we may not compare the Prius to a Corolla, that doesn't stop all the naysayers from doing so.

9. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This^^^

I'll reserve judgment 'til after July 4th.

10. Vege-Taco

Vege-Taco Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Gas prices are on a yearly cycle. They go up higher that the previous year, people get upset, the prices drop down, but not quite to their previous low, and the cycle repeats.

11. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Works out to seven years for average driver, 12,000 miles a year. Hybrids a pretty much a break even as far as fuel cost savings.

People usually compare what they were driving to new hybrid when the real comparison is cost and mileage differentials between hybrid and non-hybrid model of same car. Camry works out to about $4K and current 7 year payback for 12,000 miles a year avg.

12. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

especially not some cheap barebones Corolla with manual :). Well equipped Corolla (still less than base Prius, still smaller, with 4 speed AT), is $4k cheaper.

Might as well use $11k Nissan Versa to compare.

13. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

tell me whats the payout for Camry V6 vs base L.

14. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

p.s. when we equalize the equipment, it is around $2.5k to $3k in difference in price, plus you get to drive faster car, and hybrid.

and it gets better resale value, lower maintenance cost.

without counting in the resale value, nobody in europe would drive diesels and they would never have 45% of the market. Price difference is about the same $3k per car.

15. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Price difference per Toyota is $4K.
    Camry's, hybrid and non, both hold resale value.
    Hybrid higher scheduled maintenance costs but not significant.
    Break even period on fuel savings 7 years for avg. driver, 12K miles.

European car buying is driven by gasoline taxes which make cost of gallon in UK about $10 vs. US $3.

We should have the same in US. Pay off deficit, cut oil use, build sustainable economy.

16. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    too bad. I was hoping that the trade-in value of my 2008 would top $20k

17. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Kelly Blue Book says that's possible for 48,000 miles touring in good shape in a private sale.

Dealer might give it to you by playing with discounts on new vehicle.

I was happy to get $20K from dealer on my 2009 Escape Hybrid AWD with 42K.

18. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Gas in my area went up 11 cents!

19. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    You have to check Galves nowadays to see what dealers are paying. They're not using KBB, NADA or Edmunds anymore.

20. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

This in mainly in the Jersey area. Other regions use other 'books'. Almost none use Edmunds, kbb or NADA for trade value because all are too high. They'd be paying too much.

In the Mid Atl states they use the weekly 'black books' which list all the recent auctions for every make and model. Some dealers, if they subscribe, can actually go on the auction websites and view the auctions in real time then review the summary of each and every one later. The auction value is the 'true' purchase value because it represents the true market price that a dealer can expect to pay if he went to one of these auctions to buy a vehicle similar to yours. Or alternatively it's the price that a dealer could expect to receive if he wanted to turn a used vehicle into cash instantly, like next Tuesday.

This price is typically $2000 to $4000 lower than a 'retail' value; i.e. what you or the dealer would like to receive after cleaning up the used vehicle and presenting it for sale.