1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 high brake light intermittently works

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by kellyfishy, Sep 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. kellyfishy

kellyfishy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had a safety inspection a few weeks ago reveal that the center high mount brake light isn't functional. I ordered the aftermarket part on eBay, and to my dismay found that the connector pins are seated improperly, and/or the housing of the connector is the wrong shape/size.

In the meantime, I checked the brake light again, and it worked when in park the first time I depressed the brake, and the second time it flashed and quit. So now I know the LEDs themselves are functional and am wondering if this could be a fuse problem instead? Or could it be the LED wiring? Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How about the regular brake lights, they're working reliably? If they are, then I'd think the problem isn't at the brake pedal.

3. kellyfishy

kellyfishy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, they seem to be working normally.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would check the third brake light wiring or the led itself... looks like power is there, it's just malfunctioning. If the fuse was bad, the whole rear brake lights wouldn't work, and I assume it runs through the same power source.