1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Honda Civic launches with new HF model; hybrid goes lithium

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by cwerdna, Feb 17, 2011.

1. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    In '85 I owned a CRX HF that gave me 53MPG average driving in Calif. I believe the Geo Metro gave up 50 something MPG. Both without Hybrid Tech and fancy computers. The 1999 to 2003 VW TDI gave up 50MPG. The 2000-2006 Insight was, and still is, the undisputed best MPG car ever available to the USA.

Have really enjoyed driving my 2010 Prius II to the tune of 54MPG, but I'm not a Toyota fanboy. All car MFGs are pretty much the same big business. You just have to pick the best mileage vehicle available when you buy. But that's just my opinion, and I may be wrong. ;)

2. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

you cant compare those cars with prius - first they are 2-3 classes smaller, and safety equipment alone makes up the difference, not to mention equipment and emissions.

3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Soon as Honda increases IMA power, the economy goes down. No way IMA is as efficient as HSD.

4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Parts per million, expensive tech, crumple zones, 2 or 4 people...not getting sucked into that one. No religion or politics either...thanks. Just an opinion about the facts of MPG. :cool: Prius won my business...this year.

5. UsedToLoveCars

UsedToLoveCars Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    supposedly they blew their R&D wad on hydrogen fuel cells...

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The front grill looks borrowed from the Pilot, and not in a positive way.

We just switched last fall from a second gen Civic Hybrid, so I'm more than mildly interested in this. But so far not too excited, wait and see, for a at least a year or two. My biggest concern is how Honda will treat customers if and when things start going wrong.

Addendum: See it's just the hybrid Civic that has the "Pilot" front grill. Wonder if it's variable opening, or just as is for better aerodynamics.

7. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Most people do not agree with the first sentence. The sweet spot for IMA should be 25-45HP. While Hyundai uses a clutch their system is similar at 40HP. Right now Honda looses power in regen because IMA at 15HP or so can soak up enough of the kinetic energy as the car stops.

The first generation (1999) of HSD is superior to the current version of IMA and the later versions of HSD are even better. HSD blows away IMA.

8. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    IMA is more capable* on the highway but can't compete in lower speed driving.

* Note the choice of word.

9. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I suggest ripping out all of the safety equipment and luxury items from your Prius. Then cut a third of the car off and detune the engine and remove a cylinder so you lose 75hp and a boatload of tq. Next remove 2/3rds off the emissions control equipment and you'll have your Geo Metro comparison. I bet it will get over 100mpg now. :)

InThe future please compare apples to apples.

10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think those are actual photos of production Civic cars.

They all seem to be riding a little high with large gap between tires /wheelwells.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like a mini Accord coupe.

That's pretty good.. 45mpg combined. Methinks Honda is doing the same with the HCH as what Toyota did with the Prius - The increase in engine size is probably for more torque even though the combined 110hp remains the same. It should drop its 0-60 time to about 10-11 secs.

12. viclavigne

viclavigne New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't think Honda's Civic Hybrid can be honestly compared to the Prius at all. That's a no brainer, IMO, unless you want to factor in power/performace, which the Prius does not usually do well at (exception: the POWER mode is sweet). I'd say if you want to compare the Civic hyrid against anything, maybe the ford Fusion hybrid, which seems to get comparable fuel efficiency and also is a sedan. The Prius's only competition in non-plugin hybrids seems to be the Insight, which as very similar look and feel to driving.

13. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wow i really like the current civic Hybrid better!
    this looks like some small size way to round shoping car becasue of it design

well looking at the side picture it looks like the back part of a toyota yaris or so sedan

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    On one of the spyshot sites, maybe 6 months back, someone reported seeing a next generation Civic Hybrid (in heavy disguise) roll away from a stop silently.

15. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure doesn't appear to be an actual wheel in the picture, only a rendering. I can't see a disc, nor a rotor.

The new HCH front end is more Insight-like, the lights, grill.

16. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, the current gen Civic hybrid is even slower than the both the 2nd and 3rd gen Prius, so it doesn't have it in terms of power. It also is inferior to the 3rd gen Prius in terms of combined horsepower.

See Best & worst cars review, best & worst acceleration and Consumer Reports - Fuel economy vs. performance.

To compare to the FFH is goofy too since the FFH is much faster than either and the FFH is a midsize w/far more passenger and cargo room than the compact HCH.

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We were driving an '06 Civic Hybrid up till 3 months ago, when we purchased a 2010 Prius. I didn't notice a significant difference in pick-up, accleration. That's never been my first priority, but fwiw: they seemed pretty close. That impression was reinforced recently:

Our son has that Civic now, and when he came by for us to do an oil change, I took the opportunity to drive it to the dealership to pick up parts. I found it quite peppy, likely in part because I've got our Prius set to ECO mode, but still: no big difference.

18. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    They are fairly close but the HCH is still slower.

Here are some results from CR's tests (yeah yeah, this is bench racing, but at least it's all from the same publication):
    2010 Prius: 0-60 mph 10.6 sec; 1/4 mile 18.0 @ 79.3 mph
    2008 Prius touring: 10.6; 1/4: 18.1 @ 78.4 mph
    2004 Prius base: 10.5, 1/4: 18.1 @ 78.3 mph

06 HCH: 11.7; 18.8 @ 77.0 mph

From someone who has taken his cars to the track to drag race (not my Prius though), 0.8 seconds on the 1/4 isn't that small a gap.

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah but the driving feel isn't all that difference. I took the HCH-II out on a test drive several years ago and I thought it was actually quite fun to drive. I was well aware it was slower than the Gen 2 Prius at that time but it sure didn't feel like it. It could easily have been the way the pedal/ETC was programmed to make it feel peppier than the numbers suggest.

20. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does the IMA shut the ICE off as soon as you lift off pedal to decel?

Does ICE stay off if running heater at stoplight? I heard ICE will run at stoplight if A/C is on.

Then, when you lift of brake pedal, ICE kicks on, right?