1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Honda Civic launches with new HF model; hybrid goes lithium

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by cwerdna, Feb 17, 2011.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    On earlier HCHs and Insight I and II, that's the case. There's no electric AC compressor. Same deal w/NHW11.

IIRC, HCH-II added the electric AC compressor so that the ICE can shutdown at stoplights w/AC on.

1 person likes this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What Cwernda said. I believe the HCH-II allows the compressor to be belt-driven or electrically driven.

It will kick in the moment you lift off the brake pedal which is a little annoying when making left turns.

1 person likes this.
  3. MSantos

MSantos EcoAccelerometry

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    Its been a while but it is nice to see the discussion is still alive and well. ;)

Well, back to my usual routine... and yes, for those who still remember me, I will be "upgrading" my current 2006 HCH to the newer 2012 as soon as it is released in Canada.

Also as a friendly reminder: The electric stator/motor in current IMA designs was not developed to produce HP numbers. Its design (high energy density) was purposely engineered to provide a meaningful boost in torque numbers when the ICE is weakest.
    For instance, on the current HCH-II the electric motor provides the equivalent of just 20HP but it produces almost as much torque at just 1000RPM as the ICE produces at 6000 RPM.

Cheers

4. MSantos

MSantos EcoAccelerometry

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    The "electric compressor" can be operated under full duty and without stopping depending on how you set the climate control. The compressor starts in electric and the belt driven half is triggered on if the cooling demands are too high. Again, both can work exclusively or in tandem as required by the system.

Hummm... after having driven dozens of HCH-II's and owning a couple I must say I have not noticed the issue with "left turns" yet. ;)

Cheers

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll reserve judgement until I see how many units sell. While some may criticize Honda for not making the Civic as efficient as the Prius, I would consider the new Civic a success if it got more people out of a gas guzzler and into a 40+mpg vehicle.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh I see. Well I thought that the HCH-II's system might be good as it runs off the engine while the engine is running and off the HV battery when it's off. It still puts a drag on the engine but I figured it's more efficient than if the engine had to charge the battery.

Well I just remember that left turn I did on the test drive. Had to creep a few times. Maybe it was because the car was new and hasn't broken in yet.

Looking forward to your report on the HCH-III.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If AC is running AutoStop will tend to pack it in sooner, re-start the engine: the state of charge runs down quicker.