1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Impreza or 2012 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Zanrok, Nov 22, 2011.

1. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    subaru has a hybrid planned for late 2013 as a 2014 model

don't know if it will be a legacy or impreza size

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius doesn't have a nice ride quality? Mine is just fine. I guess you don't get stuck in traffic much. None of this super-economy stuff sounds like my Prius. I just came out of a new Accord EX Coupe. Prius more than holds its own. Don't know about you, but it drives me batty to hear an ICE blaring away at any given stoplight, drive through, parking lot, etc, etc. Maybe there's rattles coming my way, but haven't heard 'em yet :D

3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's $24,480 sticker with mats here in CA. Toyo Sunnyvale is dishing 2011 Two for $21,488 all day long and they have bunches of them, not like one or two. That's the price. Model year end clearance.

(408) 245-6640 No hassle pricing.

4. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I guess I'm supposed to be aware of pricing at one dealer that's 3000 miles from me ?? Sorry ... I wasn't aware of that deal ....

Personally ... I've never heard an engine 'blaring away' at me at a stop light since I owned a 93 mustang GT with headers. :D

If you think that the interior refinements and fitments are equivalent on a Gen 3 Prius and a new Accord, Camry, Legacy, or virtually ANY other car ... I'd say you need to warm your fingers up a little ... because they must be numb .... :D

With the recent crop of 40 MPG cars ... even though they're 40 MPG HIGHWAY cars ... that has fooled the public into using that nebulous number when comparing to Prius's 50 MPG. I know it's not fair, and I know it's not valid ... but the public is stoooopid, and dealers are selling against the Prius that way (even though all these '40 MPG' cars are REALLY 28-32 MPG cars). This has really hurt the Prius with their roughly $25K MSRP. Many people don't even consider a Prius because they don't know how much they really cost.

As I said before ... I think Toyota is dangerously close to pricing the Prius out of the market .... they simply aren't worth $25K+. Had my Prius really been the $24K of the sticker ... I wouldn't have considered it ... and I would have bought an Elantra, Sonata, or Focus for $6-8K less. Hyundai is going to eat Prius's lunch at the rate that they're going. The reason that Prius's are being heavily discounted is because they're sitting on the lots at MSRP. IF gas doesn't skyrocket soon again .... they'll have to be heavily discounted forever at their currrent price point.

My dealer has 2 'v's in stock and one is $36K and one is $38K .... give me a break .... it's just a stretched Prius. Just stoooopid pricing.

REV

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    So tell us how much you drive a year and how much in a typical daily commute, how often do you go over Donner summit or other passes.

6. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Prius rides OK .... just OK, and I like it. Sure ... it gets from point A to B, but it's a plasticky, noisy, and tinny ride, and that's why so many of them rattle as they do. I like it a lot, but if it didn't get damn close to 50m MPG, I wouldn't own it. I could care less about green-ness ... high tech ... or any of that other pseudo-feel-good mumbo jumbo ... it's just an economy car, and a damn good one ... it's NOT a statement as far as I'm concerned. It's JUST A CAR for God's sake .... it's not a religion.

My wife has an 05 Corolla S with 150K+ miles on it, and it is a far more plush, quiet, and more well put together ride than my 2010 Prius. It is far nicer from a tactile point of view, it's quieter, and feels more solid.

This is making me seem like a Prius hater ... which I'm NOT at all. I love the damn thing, but to me it's MPG's primarily that makes me love it. I just look at it very realistically when analyzing it's strengths and weaknesses. :D

REV

1 person likes this.
  7. Gurple42

Gurple42 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The heavy discounts on the Impreza should tell you something, something about resale value in a couple of years, remember the cost of a car is the price you pay for it minus the price you get when you sell it. 4 years down the road the Impreza might not be the bargain it seems. :eek:

8. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I guess you haven't read the thread below ....

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...s-iv-suddenly-plummeted-in-re-sale-value.html

Or cycledrum's posting that stated the following ....

"It's $24,480 sticker with mats here in CA. Toyo Sunnyvale is dishing 2011 Two for $21,488 all day long and they have bunches of them, not like one or two. That's the price. Model year end clearance. (408) 245-6640 No hassle pricing."

Even worse than the Impreza ....

REV

9. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius is #4 seller for all of Toyota, and will likely overtake the Rav4 with addition fo v to the family. It is #24 seller of all cars, trucks, and SUVs in US.

$36 v's, well, yeah, they're loaded to the gills, Fives with AT package. They can dish a Two for 26 and a half. Stretched Prius? More like nicely sized Prius for the fam of five. With touchscreen, backup camera down to the Two.

Doubt they sell Elantra or Focus for 6 to 8 less which would be 14 to 16k right now. We talking about the trunked cars? ARGH! I hate comparisons of trunked cars to Prius liftback! Liftback, hatchbacks always more than equivalent sedans.

2012 regular Prius Two should start about $24k , Three about $25.5k why? v starts at $26.4

10. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree CD that the hatchback is nice ... but it's not NECESSARY. I also think that calling this new crop of cars '40 MPG cars' is going to REALLY hurt the Prius. We all know it's not even close to true, but it is being sold that way ... and for non-Prius owners ... it's an easy sell when the difference is even $5-6K instead of the $6-8K of a non-discounted Prius.

I'm sure the Prius sells well .... but clearly it's not selling at all at MSRP, except in times of gasoline spikes and panics ... which I think will happen regularly from this point on. I don't regret buying mine at all ... for the first 18K miles I've averaged a tenth away from 48 MPG calculated ... not what the computer says. I've owned it for about 10 months and have 18K on it ... I need it. :D

PS .... Try to FIND a v II at 26.5

Good discussion !!

REV

11. Zanrok

Zanrok Casual Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    First off, everyone on these boards is amazing. I have been communicating with you guys for months now and chiming in here and there when I could.

A couple months ago i went to the greendrive expo and drove all the new Prii and loved them. Even got to chat up with a few of you. Everyone I talked with LOVED there prius. =)

To answer some of the questions... No I don't usually drive over the pass or up Mt. Rose to ski in the winter. Mainly, because in the 3 years I've lived here I have never been skiing!! It's a sport I should probably look into... but I prefer running and biking myself. But maybe the reason I haven't is because my grand am SCREAMS in pain every time I do go up the mountain.

That being said, there are some spots I worry about the Prius being able to handle, with its low clearance. On to my direct situation and how i currently use my car.

Currently, I car pool to work. I meet my carpoolers 15 miles from my house and drive the rest of the way to Carson City. This drive is all freeway from 55-70 mph. It does have some very steep climbs and some downs as well. I have to be at work at 6:30 am which requires me to be on the road around 5:30 every morning. Sooo during the winter, I will be lucky to see a road cleared, and its damn cold in the morning. Are carpool system works differently than most. We alternate days instead of weeks. So usually I drive 1-2 days a week the full 40 miles to work and back, and 3-4 days out of the week I drive the 15 miles there and back to meet them.

2 of the cars in my carpool are Subaru Imprezas AND on days its snowing badly one of the Subaru's usually drives.... both of these are 2011's.
    And both of them are extremely SMALL!! I can't stand sitting in the thing and I feel uncomfortable... I'm about 6'2. However, the 2012 seems a whole lot roomier and I felt good driving it. (Apparently they extended the wheel base making the interior roomier.)

Back to driving.. during the summer I also umpire high school and little games around town, and sometimes out of town. So i need a good size trunk for my gear, and this "city" driving is where I think the Prius will shine. I also love to go down to the bay during the summer and take mini vacations... And going to Lake Tahoe and sit at the beach is always fun to do.

So there you have it, during the winter I put about 330-350 miles on my grand am a week, usually filling it up then too. And during the summer I would up that figure by about 50 miles?

I love to get the most out of my tank and I would consider myself to be a VERY frugal person. Usually my girlfriend and I don't go out unless we have a coupon and I do things like re-use old lunch bags and I try not to buy new clothes unless I really need them. I'm 26 and I'm not sure if I will be in this area for a 2 years or 10 years. Every car I have test driven I have tried to max out the MPGs, to see the potential and save the most money.

So you can kind of see why this "$3,000" deal for trade in got my attention... lol

Hopefully that is enough information for you guys to help me out with my decision a little more, so far you have all been extremely helpful.

Currently, I plan on visiting the Subaru dealer tomorrow to check on some more things... Oh and I just got word from Toyota... this a direct quote from their email.

So now its January... and the Entune navigation will not be free to upgrade.... lame

Thanks again for all your help guys and girls!

12. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Only seems fair to compare Elantra Touring or Focus hatchback MPG / price to Prius.

What level of 12 Prius is OP hoping for?

13. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You really owe it to yourself to look at the Legacies ... the Impreza's ... even with the redesign ... are too small a car. Not much more than the Impreza's if you're reasonable with the goodies. :D

REV

14. Zanrok

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Right now I am hoping for the Model III 2012 Prius... the one that comes with Entune. I may be forced to downgrade depending on prices to Model II though.

Not sure if Entune is worth the extra money if Navigation doesn't even update automatically.... that just makes me :mad:

15. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Absolutely .... although the Elantra touring is kinda ug .... ly.

REV

16. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you can get an Impreza with roof and leather at $20k and that's what you want, just get that.

I'm guessing the 2012 Prius Two will start at $24k + 1k for del and mats = $25k. They might knock off $500 for $24.5k while they sell out the '11s for about $21k. ...

but that's for fabric and no moonroof which you seem interested in. Softex and solar in Prius is cha-ching $$.

17. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Buy a Garmin this black friday at wally world for $79 and be done with it !! :D Lifetime map updates FREE !! Save a grand.

REV

18. Zanrok

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Based on your recommendations I will REV. :) However, looking at the Subaru site.. it lists the car as having only 23/31 on the MPG front. That is probably too low for me as that's close to what my current car gets.

19. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Little bit, but it's laid out nicely inside. Great legroom/ headroom front, good in back. Impressive. :usa2:

20. Zanrok

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Also a great point, in that case the Prius would be 23,400 give or take.. plus taxes. I get the garmin, and my g/f gets me a tablet (wink wink) and I have all the gadgets I need in the car. (thats what I would have done with the impreza.)

So thats about a 3500 price difference?