1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 MAP GPS Update DVD 12.1 release?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by pr4424, Sep 22, 2012.

1. operator

operator Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can anyone share any comments after using new 2012 DVD on the road? Having 2008 DVD that was originally installed in our car. There are some out-dated locations here in DC area, but I can definitely live with it. Just trying to decide if it worth to upgrade and if there any dark sides of upgrade except price?

Thank you!

2. rcaine

rcaine Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have had the upgrade installed for about a month now and just used it on a holiday trip from Atlanta to your area (DC). I upgraded from a 2009 version of the maps. The display is a little bit cleared than the old maps. Route selection and directions still had a few quirks but were over all pretty good. Around Charlotte it played a game with us with get off at this exit and then a mile down the road decided we needed to go back to the main road.

In DC I am not sure it gave us an optimal routing from Annandale to Mt. Vernon but it got us there pretty quickly. I don't make heavy use of the POIs but the one's I needed were there.

Overall I have been quite pleased with the upgrade.

3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The dealer should have the annual update files for each of the differnt annual upgrades that list all of the changes state by state. Contact your dealer and see if you can get the update files.

I upgraded mine from 2008 (8.1) to 2011 (11.1) and it included most of the recent upgrades that I was interested in around NC. There were quite a few road improvements and new bypasses around Raleigh, Greensboro and Charlotte that were included.

4. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Still using the original DVD in my 2008. I've tried the copying route with no success, as it appears that the DVD drive in the car won't read burned disks, just original stamped disks. $160 is just insane for a data update. It's that kind of pricing that drives people to piracy. Anyone have any suggestions for a lower price option?

5. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I don't think the rules here are getting through. Keep any talk about copying/downloading/buying illegal copies etc of Toyota nav DVDs off the forums. This has been a longtime rule here. Thank you.

6. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I spent the $169, it installed easy. Nice that the POI's are now very current! It seems to work as good or better than the '08 version I was running. Worth buying the update if your version is 3+ yrs old...

krmcg likes this.
  7. Speedwing

Speedwing Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Updated my '08 in 2010 and then sold the 08 version on E-Bay. Looks like it is time to buy the new version and auction off the 2010 DVD.

8. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Not really specific to this thread but either the site or my connection is WAY BAD today. Several minutes between page loads. If someone has a pointer to a thread where this is more appropriate, please point me too it.

I bought a 2009 in Oct to replace my totaled (rear ended) 2004. The map DVD was bad so they ordered one. The one they got was the "latest" but, sadly, it was for the Gen III. Back it went and 5 months later I FINALLY got the 2012 DVD for the 2006-2009 Prius. I made sure it worked but didn't make use of it right off. I put it in my wife's '06 (she still has her original) because she took my daughter to Colgate and University of Rochester. Worked fine for them. Well, I finally got it back and tried to use it. Marveled at the much better graphics than I had in my '04 but then realized: the Nav Lady doesn't talk!!! I checked the setup, all the Nav voice things are set to "On". I even hit the "default" button. Still she is mute.

Am I missing something obvious or is something broken?

I have no desire to drive through Boston looking at the Nav screen because she isn't telling me when turns are coming up. Driving in Boston is dangerous enough with your eyes on the road!!

Thanks,
    Bruce

9. MikeandCarrie

MikeandCarrie New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all, I just joined. I just bought a restored salvaged 2007. I believe it has the original disc. I saw an old post referring to someone named Metro. Can someone send me his phone number or email address? I would like to get a 2010 or 2011 dvd so I don't have to pay $170.
    Thanks.