1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 non factory fog light location?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by J Humes, Jan 6, 2020.

1. J Humes

J Humes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    My 2012 four has everything but fog lights.
    I'm a believer in well-engineered fog lamps and have been since the late 60s when I used to run true cut off Hellas, Cibies, and Marchals. I understand from the many members who have expressed their frustration with the lack of brightness or beam control of the factory units that they are indeed worthless.
    Trying not to reinvent the wheel.
    Have any members attempted putting well-engineered non-Toyota fog lamps on our cars in the nonstock position, (doesn't require a new grill with small holes limiting what you can achieve)?
    J. Humes

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't understand your desire to mount the foglights in a non-standard location when there are already kits available to mount them in the oem, standard location.

All you need is the factory foglight shrouds to replace the blanks, better foglights than the oem foglights (LED and projector foglights are available with oem Toyota mounting tabs) and a wiring harness (with relay and switch).

I've mounted foglights in our 2011 Prius 3, and our 2014 Corolla LE using the above approach.

The closeup of the Prius foglight is the LED foglight that I mounted (with yellow vinyl overlay), which replaced the projector foglights I had mounted in the other picture attached.

Screenshot_2019-12-08-16-06-23.jpeg 20180520_113912.jpeg 2017-06-13%2008.45.11.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The better designed projector and LED foglights have cutoffs that limit the amount of glare, unlike the crappy oem reflector type foglights with halogen bulbs.

4. J Humes

J Humes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hi xliderider,
    My 2012 four will not allow me to do the great job you did on your car.
    To do anything requires I buy a new and different grill then I presently have on the car, plus harness, plus kit for it all. I have a completely different shaped hole where you have your fogs and it's filled with the factory LED DRLs. So rather than adding Toyota body parts for bad factory auxiliary lighting, I was trolling for alternatives someone may have tried and succeeded.
    Thanks for checking my question. :)

5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hmm everything? Does it have the twin projector leds w/led brow in the headlight ?

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ah yes, the model year the OP has requires a new lower grill with foglight openings, foglights, and a wiring harness with switch.

The good news is that the proper foglights mount right into the existing space, once the new grill is obtained. ;)