1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Oil Change and Maintenance

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by cdogstu99, Feb 17, 2017.

1. cdogstu99

cdogstu99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi guys I am a new owner of a 2012 Prius 3 and couldn't be happier. The car just hit 45k miles and the maintenance message came up on the screen which I assume coincides with need for oil change as noted on window sticker. Question should I bring the Prius to a Toyota certified dealer for service? Just wondering if they are the only ones to be able to turn off the maintenance message? And it looks based on recommended service the only other thing needed at 45k is a cabin air filter and rotation of tires. Would you rotate tires if you plan on putting regular tires on once winter is over (has studded winter tires now which are amazing). I think that's it! Thanks!

iPhone ?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Depends on your mindset. There's a litany of checks in that service; hey the driver's floor mat for one, lol. I've only brought ours in for recalls, am kinda biased. If you want to be on record with the dealership, maybe phone the service manager, just get in touch.

The specifics you mention:

1. Maintenance light reset: That's covered in the Owner's Manual, page 428 if they haven't shifted it. Not on Canadian models, btw.

upload_2017-2-17_5-40-29.png

2. Cabin Filter: I believe the instruction is to "clean" the Cabin Filter. And of course replace if really knackered. This is an easy DIY: remove the glove box, and it's in behind.

upload_2017-2-17_5-43-43.png

3. Tire rotation: definitely don't have them do anything on this, having snow tires. No point to an extra rotation.

That's our situation too, that's how I rotate the tires. Every time I take either the all-seasons or snows off, I mark where they were, and the tires I'm putting on: front goes to back and back goes to front. The Owner's Manual says not to to change size, new one for me: typically Honda would say (barring directional tires) straight back and cross to front.

I believe in other parts of the world the Toyota Owner's Manuals do recommend swapping sides, which is a bit of a head-scratcher. But my manual says to keep them on the same side, and what with my snows being directional, I just follow that.

Page 441:

upload_2017-2-17_5-49-57.png

The mention of TPMS initializing is only applicable if you're running grossly different tire pressures on one set or the other. Other'n that I wouldn't bother. Also, if you set the same pressures on all four tires, you avoid the complication of pressure adjustment when you rotate them.

You can download gratis pdf's of your manuals at Toyota Tech Info, under the manuals tab. Handy since you can search them.

JC91006 likes this.
  3. cdogstu99

cdogstu99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is a phenomenal reply. Thank you! I did end up bringing into a dealer for a synthetic oil change. Odd that they put next service due in 5K miles on the sticker....I'm assuming they are just trying to get more business? As I've noticed everyone says the synthetic should last 10k?

iPhone ?

4. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    it lasts 10.000 miles, but nevertheless your maintenance reminder will come up after 5.000 miles..../
    just reset it, no need to bring the car to the dealer after 5.000 miles /

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I change ours every 6 mo or 5000 mile, per Canadian 3rd gen schedule. 4th Gen in Canada they've gone to the US schedule. But still, it's your car, up to you.

6. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    well, I personally would recommend 5.000 miles oil changes, but toyota upped them to 10k..../

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Kind of.
    It is the TIRE ROTATION that is recommended every 5K, not necessarily an oil change.
    I compromise with mine. Reminder comes on at 5K. I drive it another 1000 or a bit more and than have both tires and oil done at the same time.