1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 P0300 P0301 P0302 CEL ON

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Marioaz, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Marioaz

Marioaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi All,

2012 P0300 P0301 P0302 CEL ON no obvious drivability issue.
    I just acquired it from a family member, but concerned that deToyota dealer has not found the main issue 2 months ago when was in for diagnostic.
    169,000 miles, plugs replaced 2 months ago, coolant level low missing a quart, 1 qt M1 0-20 ~1500 miles, 80 mile daily commute. Dealer maintained most of the time including spark plugs, radiator, intake manifold replaced TSB-01116-15 $1000 a bill October 2019.
    What's next, EGR, explore a head gasket ave, save for a 2016 engine ?
    TIA and regards!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you're losing coolant, i think it speaks for itself. start researching used engines

Grit likes this.
  3. Marioaz

Marioaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I already started the research, but does not look too promising, most of Gen 3 engines I was able to located in Arizona or SouthWest are sourced from 2010, so potentilay exposed to the oil consumption issue. I am even contemplating a Gen 4 transplant, but I am a bit concerned the installer might push back or the vendor will void warranty stating the application is not compatible with the engine - looking mainly at LKQ and JDM, for now. I am not in the rush, this repair can wait for a while, but kind of concerning thinking the HA battery might die, if this vehicle will be idle for long. Any constructive advice is welcome!
    Regards!

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would force charge the battery before storing. t should be good for awhile. after that, you'd have to buy a grid charger, which wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to own, with an 8 year old battery.

5. Marioaz

Marioaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am not familiar with the grid charger yet, but I'll take a look and do some research. The confusing part is the CEL light turned off by itself, just in case I have cleared 3 pending codes P0300 P0301 P0302 and the engine starts with minimal rattle, and vehicle runs, as it should, battery is getting charged. I am wondering if I should test drive it for a while and evaluate the coolant level and driving conditions more?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think so, could be a pinhole in the gasket presently. i would definitely check the egr

7. Marioaz

Marioaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Can you please elaborate on the best way to test/check EGR? Is monitoring via Techstream a possibility, or I need dig deeper checking the pipe condition and the valve? The manifold has been replaced with the new design about 2 month ago at the Dealer, apparently due to MIL on condition along with a new set of spark plugs, about $1000 damage bill for the previous owner. The car drives fine, but the engine starts with a slight rattle mostly when is cold. Meanwhile, I was checking for Gen 4 engines , but seems to be 2 flavors because they are asking for the VIN number. I am not sure which type of Gen 4 engine should I keep an eye on, in case the current is really going south. TIA

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    @Mendel Leisk has the easiest method for taking a peak inside the pipe.

i know there is a thread or two here on using tech stream, but i'm not familiar with it, or if it works.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    NutzAboutBolts and bisco like this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i thought you had an easy method to peak inside? another senior moment i guess :cool:

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  11. Eddie25

Eddie25 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I personally don't see the point in worrying about the egr or the battery until you confirm that you have a head gasket leak.

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Checking the pipe is relatively easy. Maybe 10 minutes taking off the intake air snorkel and air filter box (just for access), then 5 bolts to remove the pipe for a look. Four bolts actually holding the pipe end flanges, and the fifth bolt just holding a plastic cover/cable bracket.

Robert Holt and bisco like this.
  13. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah, tooo preemptive and unnecessary work. I'll wait for the check EGR light to come on first. The only pipe I'm checking is the one you sprinkle brown dust on it and hold a match to the cupped tip.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ready to Matriculate south yet:whistle:.

Senior moments are better in warmer and sunnier weather(y).

bisco likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    virginia!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  16. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Richmond:whistle:?

If so, meander off of 95 in Chester and have either Sibley's BBQ or Riptide's seafood:).

Still miss both of those places;).

Or remember them for your way back(y).

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    fredericksburg. we'll be in richmond shortly, but we take no prisoners on the way to florida or back, that's why we have yet to purchase a tesla :)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  18. Marioaz

Marioaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks much for including these useful documents and tips. I have watched the EGR cleaning video last night. I can follow along and complete this job in two stages, but I am afraid might be too late for this engine. Meanwhile, I was able to get the Techstream working and noticed the rattle reoccured for couple seconds and the MIL light turned ON with the same codes signature P0300 P0301 P0302 P0303. The question is what is the procedure to postively confirm the head gasket is busted. I would driving couple miles and checking the coolant level would be one option, but if the gasket leak is minimal might take awhile to impact the coolant.
    Regarding scouting for an Gen 4 replacement engine, are you sure it will fit on Gen 3 regardless of the VIN number.? While searching on LKQ site for Gen 4 they ask for VIN, and I could not provide it, because mine is a Gen 3.
    Thanks much!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. Marioaz

Marioaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Any suggestions on who to confirm the head gasket leak using DIY?

20. Eddie25

Eddie25 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How often are you rattling?

Since it's not looking good at this point I would just drive the thing and keep a keen eye on coolant level. If coolant goes down at all you are probably out of luck (assuming no external leaks). If it were me I'd probably then use a $10 iphone boroscope to look down the plug openings for wetness... You can look up other ways to check head gaskets, but it might be a waste of time.

No coolant loss?... then certainly check the EGR

Right?

Even if my EGR is clogged I'm not gonna worry about it if I'm loosing coolant because my head gasket is blown and if you get a new engine or do a head gasket you can deal with the EGR easier then.

I could be wrong, that's just my line of reasoning.