1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 PiP Base audio upgrade opinions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by trentofdestiny, Jun 12, 2014.

1. trentofdestiny

trentofdestiny Master Finagler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am looking at doing a major audio upgrade on my 12 PiP Base. I would like some opinions. Here is my current setup:

Dynamat in all 4 door skins
    JBL GTO328 3.5" 2-way dash speakers with 1.5khz bass blockers (I wanted 4.5k at the time but none were available)
    OEM head unit and OEM door speakers
    Audio settings are:
    Treble -2
    Mid 0
    Bass +2
    These seem to even out the bright crispness of the tweeters and add some low end which the 6x9s seem to handle ok.

But I had an awesome system in a previous car and I'd like to somewhat duplicate it. Here is what I want to use:

AudioControl LC6i (to give me RCA's from the Entune head unit. I want to keep it for the hybrid functions and ability to configure the auto door locks, etc.)

Alpine PDX-F4 (rated 100W RMS x 4)
    Apline SPR-60C 6.5 components (rated 110W rms each)
    Metra 82-8147 speaker brackets (to install 6.5. These seem new as they have more & slotted holes in, and didn't exist when I tried to replace just my speakers last year.)

I have not come up with speakers for the rear...I am assuming I would just use the co-axial equivalent of the fronts (i.e. SPR-60).

Does anyone see any problems with this scenario or want to suggest substitutions? I know I could switch to a 5-channel amp and put in a sub but I'm not ready for that loss of cargo space plus the amount of bass that 100w/channel 6.5 produces is enough for me, I believe. Hell, I was almost ok with the bass from the stock system :\

2. trentofdestiny

trentofdestiny Master Finagler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Upon further reflection, Treble -4 and mid/bass both 0 seems more real. Also, perhaps I'd be okay with only 50W rms/channel, rather than 100. I rarely turned up that other system that far. I did really like the speaker plugs on the alpine amp though. The newer one has power plug too.