1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Plug-in Key FOB Funkiness

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by corystal, Jun 22, 2018.

1. corystal

corystal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just got a 2012 plug-in Advanced (w/ tech package) and the key fob won't lock the doors. The LED doesn't light when pressed. Unlock and Panic both light the LED and work. There's also an A/C button, which does nothing (no LED) either... is that even a thing for the plug-in? Is it a programming issue?

2. Maarten28

Maarten28 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So the battery is not dead it seems. You can take the keyfob apart (you have to do that when you want to change the battery) and then take the innards out. Then you can press the microswitches that are behind the buttons to see if there is maybe a problem there.
    The LED should light up every time you press the open or close button, even when the car is not in range.

bisco likes this.
  3. corystal

corystal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I took it apart and did that... same result. I thought about bypassing the switches with a wire, but I'm not super savvy with micro-electronics and I'd hate to fry the thing =\

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats!

did you only get one fob? there is definitely something wrong with the lock button, could it be stuck down?

a/c is different. the car needs to be plugged in, and the climate system set correctly.

all the best!(y)

5. Francois Yameny

Francois Yameny New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    My 2010 Toyota Prius with 232000 miles just have a hybrid system warming check

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

uh-oh, could be several things. you'll need to get the codes read. in the meantime, check the 12v health, oil level, hybrid battery cooling fan and intake grille.

all the best!(y)

7. corystal

corystal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I don't think it's stuck down... The led is not constantly on, and doesn't come on when I press the lock or AC button, but does come on for unlock and panic

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe a bad circuit board then...

9. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Momentary unlock button on the remote may be defective and not making mechanical contact when physically pressed down. The paper clip should close the circuit. There's 2 solder point to close the circuit, making contact to both solder points underneath the pcb board should lock/arm the prius if the momenta/ry button is defective.

10. corystal

corystal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I verified that it's not the button... shorting it does nothing. It's way beyond my pay grade to troubleshoot the board any more than that. Could this be a programming issue?

11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you have AAA higher end coverage (not basic), they'll pay for majority of a new fob replacement (for lost key). Seems you have broken fob

corystal likes this.