1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Plug-in Power button / display errors

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Neal9, Sep 8, 2021.

1. Neal9

Neal9 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My 2012 prius power button isn't working correctly. It was turning on but the "P" was not highlighted on the dash so I couldn't shift into reverse or drive. If i would turn on & off several times it would highlight the P and it would work. Now the power button isn't working at all. It was coming on with the triangle and exclamation point or flashing various parts of the dash display but now I can't get that either. Anyone have information on this. I tried to take fuses out to reset. Last year the 12 v battery died and I recharged it and it seems fine. If I can't solve this I will have it towed to the dealer but concerned about towing it when I can't get it in neutral. will that damage something?

2. Potorap

Potorap Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    If I were you I would have the 12 V battery tested. If it’s original I would replace it. That little 12 V battery sometimes causes chaos in the system. I would open up the side panel to see if there was any corrosion as well. Good luck I hope you find out what’s wrong.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    why spend $200. on a battery when you can spend plenty more having it towed to your local friendly dealer?
    hey, they need the business too!

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome, Neal. Sure sounds to me like a very low 12V battery.

Step one: measure the voltage at the jumper point under the hood. If it's under about 11.5, you can proceed to opening up the deck in the back and checking it there. If it's low at the terminals, too, then put it on a charger. If it's normal at the battery terminals (posts) but low at the jumper point under the hood, then check the connections at the battery and where the ground wire connects to the car's body. Make sure it's clean and tight.

Next, if the battery is good and all the connections are good, and you get a normal voltage reading in the previous step, use a code reader app and an inexpensive OBDII bluetooth or wifi adapter to find out what codes turned on those dash lights.

Don't buy a new battery till you know if you need one. And don't pay for an expensive tow unless you know you need one. If you do need to have it towed, they can put the front wheels on dollies to pull it onto the truck.

I think it's most likely that your 12V battery just ran down, especially if you've been driving short distances and/or infrequently.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you tried replacing the power button?