1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Plug-in Prius - Ten questions, including about my Canadian 2012 Technology Package

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Eug, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Hi there. I have now joined the plug-in Prius herd, albeit in 2015. Well, not quite. Haven't taken delivery of my 2012 with Technology Package yet. That makes 3 Prius first models for me:

2001 Prius
    2004 Prius
    2012 Prius PHV

I have a few questions though. Hopefully somebody can answer.

1) Is the Canadian 2012 Prius PHV base model exactly the same as in the US?

2) Is the Canadian 2012 Prius PHV Technology Package exactly the same as the US's Advanced Package? I found the US 2012 Prius PHV brochure online, but I can't find the same for the Canadian model. The Canadian Prius family brochure doesn't have the PHV, because PHV came out after that brochure's release. The 2013 Prius family brochure does include it, but I can't remember if the 2013 is exactly the same as the 2012 or not. I do note that the Canadian 2013 brochure makes no mention of a power front passenger seat. However, I wonder if it is because it is a combined brochure, not a specific PHV one, that they've left stuff out for brevity. (I didn't check that feature when I was in the store.) BTW, for my user info, I've just left the model section blank, since technically I don't have the Advanced Package, and the Canadian categories don't show up.

3) My Prius PHV was a dealer demo, albeit 2.5 years old. Does that count as one of the 63 sold in Canada in 2012, or would I now be number 64 with a 2012 model?

4) I still have my 2004 Prius's alloy wheels sitting in my shed. Are the rims the exact same size? I think they are, but the tires are sized differently. Can I use those wheels on my 2012 PHV? If not, can I use those rims with new tires? If I can, then I'd use those for winter tires. It'd be nice to have alloy for both summer and winter.

5) Is it worth upgrading to the latest NAV software? It seems awfully expensive.

6) Is it worth it to shop around the Toyota dealers for fob programming? Or should I just head straight to the DIY route?

7) Is it correct to assume that basically all the interior accessories are exactly the same between the PHV and regular hybrid? eg. Cargo mat and floor mats. Seat covers for the rear. If so, where best to get them for Canada? I noticed that the Priuschat shop won't ship some of that stuff up here, and I won't use eBayers that utilize the Global Shipping Program.

8) Do you do anything to protect your charging cable outside? I don't have a garage. I'm kinda concerned about rain, and snow plus ice. I've read the cable is $1200 US. Ouch.

9) I declined the paint protection film. Was that a good decision? I note that the paint on my Prius 2004 hood's front edge started to flake off. It appeared that something got underneath through a chip or something and started to oxidize the aluminum underneath, causing the paint to bubble. Again, I don't have a garage, so the car is exposed to the elements 24/7.

10) I read the next-gen Prius plug-in won't go into production until Q4 2016, which presumably means a calendar 2017 release. Is that still the most accurate guesstimate? If so, I don't feel so bad jumping into this generation so late in the game.

Thanks in advance,

Eug

#1 Eug, Mar 7, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    AFAIK, yes except for LED DRLs.

No. The U.S.' AT Package includes HUD. There were only a handful of 2012 models in Canada. It basically only had December and part of November. After that, they were sold as 2013 models, so yes the 2012 and 2013s are the same. (And for all intensive purposes, the 2015 ones too). I don't think there is a power passenger seat offered. The 2015 Prius v is the first Prius that I know of that offers power front seats.

Also, it's called the Plug-in Technology Package so you can use choose "Technology Package" under packages but I guess that doesn't show up any more.

Not sure. I can't remember how demos are titled.

According to the manual, they're both 15 x 6J (although the 2004 manual has an extra "J".. 15 x 6JJ. not sure if that's a typo).

Depends how much has changed in your area (the nav will be version 11.1, 12.1 if you're lucky so it's a couple of versions behind). If you want to use XMNav Traffic, then you would be wise to update to get the latest maps with embedded traffic data (i.e. the maps can show you all the roads with traffic data. Older maps will only show you routes where, at the time the map was made, had traffic data so any new routes added since then will not show up on your nav)

No idea.

I believe the cargo area floor is the same area size so you should be able to use the same accessories. I picked up my carpeted cargo mat from a U.S. dealer. Ordered it, drove down, picked it up.

Can't help you there. Don't have a PHV.

Southern Ontario uses salt, no? Unless the chunks of salt are large enough to chip the paint. My bumper is pitted because of the use of sand (and pickup trucks that spray them all over your car when they gun it from the traffic light)

No idea about production. Best to our knowledge so far is "one year after the Gen 4 Prius" so I guess we just have to wait and see when the Gen 4 Prius comes out and then wait roughly a year after that. Hopefully they'll give some tidbits about the Gen 2 PHV along with the Gen 4.

3. gallde

gallde Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    8) Do you do anything to protect your charging cable outside? I don't have a garage. I'm kinda concerned about rain, and snow plus ice. I've read the cable is $1200 US. Ouch.​

I park my PIP in an outdoor driveway, and I have violated most of the "rules" with no problems. I plug the charging cord into a heavy-duty extension cord (though it's short and goes to a dedicated outlet right below my service panel). And I leave my charging handle and control module lying on the ground through rain, snow and ice. A couple times I had ice freeze on the latch and had to dig it out to free the latch (which operates a switch inside that won't let it charge unless it snaps closed. I figure Toyota had sealed the electronic components well enough to "weather the storm", so to speak.

4. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Thanks for the info guys. That's very helpful.

With regards to that demo, on my invoice it actually says "new" not used, but the dealer was treating it as a used sale (which makes more sense to me). And knowing that the cable can take that heavy abuse in the winter is reassuring. I have since read here about some issues with a defective gasket causing the charging handle not to fit easily, but also read that Toyota's advice is just to remove the gasket and that it works fine after that. That's reassuring too.

BTW, on the Toyota Certified used vehicle site, there is exactly one used Prius Plugin available for sale in all of Canada. I wish I had known that when I was negotiating**, but I was not aware of it when I made my offer with the dealer. Not sure if it just recently showed up or if I hadn't bothered to check availability in Quebec at the time. However, judging by their list price which I believe is for the base model, then I think I did pretty well for my Technology Package model negotiation... for a car I had absolutely no intention of buying in the first place. o_O

** It's good to bring your laptop and a way to access the internet when you're negotiating for a used car. I had brought info with me on the Prius and Prius v, but ended up doing a deal on a car with a completely different pricing range, only because I was able to search the net right at that time. I didn't know about the Quebec one, and the Canadian Black Book didn't have any pricing info either, but I could compare against US pricing factoring in the exchange rate.

#4 Eug, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats!(y) is this a brand new 2012 in 2015?

6. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Thanks. It's a dealer demo that they got back when the Prius Plug-in was first launched, but have been using themselves since then. My guess is they've just been using it to ferry customers back and forth, since it only has just over 18000 miles on it. Clean carproof with Toyota certification. Excellent condition with the very nice Advanced-like Canadian Technology Package, and I like the chrome highlights not found in the other Priuses.

BTW, I just found out that plug-in hybrids and EVs in Ontario qualify for special green plates, and at least for the next few months are eligible for HOV lanes on the major highways. Bonus. :)

ontario_unveils_green_licence_plate_for_ecofriendlyvehicles.jpeg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpeg

The HOV lane part will end this year, but the green colour alone is even better than a vanity plate. :D

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    GVAA plates (I think I've seen GVAB). Practically every Volt I've seen out of ON has those plates.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Regarding #9: I've never gone for the "paint protection" offerings. They've always been around, used to be coupled with beefed-up undercoating. Both are just a cash grab. I do wax, spring and fall.

Okinawa likes this.
  9. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Yeah, I kind of figured as much regarding the paint protection. BTW, I thought I read that the PiP gets upgraded paint. What does that actually mean? I note that if you choose Blizzard Pearl for the regular Prius, in Canada it costs $255 more than the other paint colours.

TOYOTA CANADA: Language

As for the undercoating, they said it's not recommended since there a colour coded wire or something that would be covered in black, making it hard to recognize.

P.S. I just found the dealership's ad online for the car, from a long time ago. I hadn't seen it before because it was listed as a base 2012 regular Prius. Of course that made no sense since their asking price for this 2012 was significantly higher than a brand new 2015 base Prius. Only when you read the description do you find out it is PiP with all the upgrades. There is no mention of either the PiP or the upgrades in the title. I wonder if it's because there is actually no option on this website for this model car, so they just put in the regular Prius category.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, undercoating has fallen out of favour. And with any car with extensive plumbing, wiring, plastic underpanel, it'd be a disaster.

Blizzard Pearl is the only colour with extra charge, I think. Paint process more involved. When we were shopping we considered it, but really it was non-metallic white we wanted, not available. Ended up cruising the lot and saying "we'll take that one". Hated the wheel covers on 15", found this one Touring with the 17", buried at the back, in their covered garage. ;)

#10 Mendel Leisk, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  11. se-riously

se-riously Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    All the mats are the same, except for the driver's seat. The PIP deletes the floor lever to open the gas filler door (replaced with a button on the left dash) so that floor mat is different to cover the vacated space. The seat covers for the rear bench portion is also different because there's an additional vent for the battery. PIP's have two vents while non PIP's have one.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  12. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Oh, that's very good to know.

I also see now that the cargo mat is different, according to eBay product descriptions. Even if it were the same, it'd be nice to find a dedicated PiP cargo mat with a flap for the charger compartment, because it would be annoying having to lift up the cargo mat every time you want to use the charger, and do so again every time you want to put away the charger.

However, I haven't seen such a beast yet, just one-piece no-flap liners that are custom fit for the plug-in.

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hatch area liners always leave me conflicted: they're fine when the rear seat backs are up, but are not effective/practical when you flip the rear seats down for longer loads. I just throw an old blanket in there.

#13 Mendel Leisk, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
    markabele likes this.
  14. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Old blankets and towels FTW.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Finally got my car today. Yay! :)

My plate is GVAF xxx. The Ministry of Transportation of Ontario website says they've issued over 4000 of these plates so far. The "GREEN VEHICLE" wording is hidden by the ugly licence plate cover that the dealer installed though. I'll go buy some slim frames to have that shown. ;)

My charging cable is too short. I'm told this is a no no but I'm going to have to get a short extension cord. I'll look for a 12 gauge cable. I only need an extra 6-12 feet though. Well, it's not too short, but it barely reaches as there is a big snowbank there so I can't pull right up.

BTW, for now, I don't need to get another key fob or winter floor mats. The car came with them. I might consider getting a cargo/seatback cover though. They even washed the engine. It looks brand spankin' new. I like this dealership. :)

Tideland Prius likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats, all the best!(y)

18. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Thanks.

P.S. I was thinking about that $1200 cable. It got me thinking about installing a Level 2 charger.

Well, not really, but it got me thinking. Preamble: One of the reasons I got the car cheap was because the dealer licensed the car for their company usage, so I'm not eligible to get the rebate. I assume they got the rebate. Not a surprise though, as I factored that into the negotiation. Technically, 2012s aren't supposed to be eligible anymore anyway, which isn't a surprise since that was 2.5 years ago.

However, what I didn't know is that I'm not eligible for the charger rebate either. They allow up to $1000 rebate - 50% of the charger cost up to $500 and 50% of the cost of the installation up to $500. It turns out only those who got the car rebate can get the charger rebate. Wth? You can't get the charger rebate even if you have proof you own a PHEV or EV.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can find cables pretty reasonably online. and there is a company who converts them to 120/240 for about 250 bucks.

20. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Thanks. However, I'd rather have two level 1 cables (or else one level 1 and one level 2) than one level 2.