1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius 2 Sirius radio installation help

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Raleighwood, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Raleighwood

Raleighwood Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just purchased a '12 Prius 2 that does not include the Sirius radio. I have purchased the Sirius Onyx radio kit and plan on using a local installer.

My question is: has anyone done this on the third generation vehicles and more importantly, where did you place the receiver?

I just don't see a good location as the center console has zero free space. The dashboard in not really an attractive option either. I'm sure trying to remove the glue from the included dash mount should you ever decide to move or simply remove it must be a nightmare. The vent option seems unstable but I have not tried it. I have not been able to find any after-install pictures of the unit on the dash either.

So far, the only really good and nonobtrusive location seems to be on the dash to the left by the left window port, out of the way but still accessible. I have also considered using it as a hand held unit in the tray below the console. I'm not a fan of either option.

Has anyone done or had this install done? Where did you place the unit? How did it work? I really don't want to send the unit back and give up but the thought of a permanent stick on mount is unappealing at best. Suggestions?

Thanks

2. jaqattaq

jaqattaq Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. Raleighwood

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I contacted the store link and spoke to them by chat. They do not have a kit for a 2012 radio. The kit shown was for 2008 and earlier models. I would like to alter the base radio but need to know where to get the parts for it.

4. jaqattaq

jaqattaq Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  5. Raleighwood

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes I read that thread. I did see however that he did not list that unit as the one he purchased but rather Vias unit, the Sl2s. That unit does say it will fit at a cost of $279 I think it was for both parts. Is it in fact the same unit even though it is not listed in the Xmfanstore website by name?

6. Raleighwood

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just thought I would update this for anyone in the same position as I am. I have sent the Onyx radio back to Sirius and instead gone with the internal upgrades noted above. The two parts are on order and should arrive this week. My appointment with BestBuy for installation ($85) will be next week.

I have ordered the SoundlinQ SL2s and the Sirius controller SCC1 for a total of $159.99 with free shipping. I was happy with the price and delivery time. A local shop here in Raleigh quoted me $499 for the install which included the parts. My way was about $245.00, over half the cost. There may have been a cheaper way to get the parts, but I sure couldn't find it.

I am happy so far despite spending more than I expected. I just didn't want that second device on the dashboard or hanging off the A/C vent. Once the install is complete and I have activated the subscription I will report it here.

I am curious about one thing, is there a difference between a Sirius receiver and an XM receiver? I thought the two were merged years ago and any new radio would pick up all channels, assuming it was in your subscription of course. Is that incorrect? Is there a difference between what a Sirius radio can receive vs an XM radio?

7. pghjerry

pghjerry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I get much better reception with Sirius. XM and SiriusXM recievers would cut out when going under bridges and overpasses, so I am very glad to have Sirius back. Other than that, there are some channels that XM has that Sirius doesnt, and visa versa. And There are channels that SiriusXM recievers get that neither XM or Sirius recievers get. But overall, Sirius, XM and SiriusXM recievers all get the same core channels, so really there is no difference.

8. Raleighwood

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That leads me to one question. I love the radio classics channel 82. Is that channel on the Sirius radios?

9. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yes a follow up is a nice thing. I have a 2012 II, and my radio says nothing about SAT, the web site says it needs a AM/SAT for it to work.

10. Raleighwood

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I noticed that too, the website I used to buy the radio says, as does the other thread, that no special button is required for an install. The satellite system is accessed through the audio "sources" touch key on the screen.

My appointment is Tuesday the 14th I think. I will update once the install is done. I'm looking forward to getting away from commercials.....

11. Raleighwood

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  12. Raleighwood

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Update: I had the system installed at a local shop ($85). My appointment today at BestBuy was a no show for the installer and after 40 minutes of waiting I left. Less than 90 minutes later I had my system installed and was talking to Sirius getting the account moved to the new radio. That part was not as difficult as I expected. Sirius take note!! It would help if the first person you got could do all you needed. It took 3 different people just to transfer my account to the new radio. If the $50 rebate does indeed work, my total cost to install will be $110 for the part and $85 labor making it $195 + subscription. Quite a bit cheaper than buying the upgraded radio from Toyota and the rest of the package.

I am including a picture of the antenna placement. Since the Two does not have the Sirius antenna, I needed to have one installed. I really didn't want a second antenna on the roof of my white car. It would not look balanced no matter where they put it. The installer suggested I put it inside saying he had had great luck with the reception that way and it was not on the roof. It took me two seconds to say yes to that suggestion. He had it installed in about 45 minutes start to finish.

If you look above the display in the photo, you will see it at the base of the windshield. Its on top of the defroster vent in a flat part that separates the left and right vents. It almost looks like it was made for it! Reception so far is great and for the most part, its invisible and I like that!

[​IMG]

13. Raleighwood

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Now that I have posted such a huge picture, is there a better way to do it? I used the insert image button. Could I have used the Upload a File button below instead?

14. jaqattaq

jaqattaq Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am glad everything worked out and you didn't install that onyx radio. I like the in car antenna install when I swap out my Sirius from my 2008 Prius to my 2012 next week inside antenna it is.

15. FalconDave

FalconDave New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I appreciated being able to read these questions and suggestions as the in car antenna idea was such a time saver (and so much easier than the external antenna mounting that I was about to start). My car is a 2010 Prius. The inside antenna mount took just a couple of minutes, and it looks professional as I was able to easily hide the antenna wire, and it works great there (i.e. strong, consistent signal).

Something I learned when I was working on the external mount is to be careful not to shut the rear hatch with the battery cable removed as you cannot open the latch from the outside (even manually). You either have to crawl in the back from inside the car to reinstall the battery cable or reach all the way to back of the hatch for the manual release.

Again, thank for your valuable posts, as you made this installation pretty straightforward for me.

16. sparis573

sparis573 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wanted to post a public service update for those who may be attempting to upgrade your stock prius non-nav radio with sirius. This isimple gateway kit works:

with the new SIRIUSXM SXV200v1:

I spent hours after installing this trying to figure out how it works. The instructions provided (via web and in the box) from isimple do not work. You must change the dip switches (even though the directions tell you not to) so that DIP 1 is in the "ON" position (switch down). All other DIPS should be off. Also, the PXAMGSR adapter cable that goes from the sirius to the isimple gateway must be in the 1st port, farthest from the dip switches (not the one closest as the instructions would have you do). Once you make these adjustments, the radio will work exactly as the instructions indicate.

I hope this helps someone so they don't spend 8 hours with this thing like I did.

FreedomZman likes this.
  17. sparis573

sparis573 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Consequently, I was able to find all the parts from this kit, plus the sirius receiver for $100 (used and just looking around).

18. DavidCo

DavidCo New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Just a quick follow-up to sparri573's helpful post. I had the isimple ISTY11 gateway and SXV200 installed today. Everything works great, but here are a few additional notes:

1. If, like me, you're using the older isimple ISTY11 gateway, you'll need to update the firmware for it to work with the SXV200. You'll also need to find a mini usb cable to plug the isimple gateway into your computer's USB port (a mini usb cable is not included in the box). You can do a search to find the isimple updater software (this is my first post, so I can't link to any pages).

2. Also, the newer SXV200 Tuner will need an isimple ISSR12 adapter cord to fit into the ISTY11 isimple gateway (again, you can do a search by model number). The cheapest one I could find was 29.99 on Ebay. If you're using a Sirius SCC1 Tuner (which is out of production, but still may be available for purchase) you'll already have the correct cable (the one that's packaged with the ISTY11).

3. If you use the isimple ISTY12 gateway (the newer model), you should have the proper ISSR12 cable included in the box for it to hook up to the SXV200 Tuner (and, it's my understanding that the firmware would be updated as well, but it never hurts to double check with the manufacturer on that).

#18 DavidCo, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  19. Lucas Sie

Lucas Sie New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I like to contribute to this thread, since I have benefitted from it.
    I have a 2015 Toyota Prius II. I have been able to successfully add a SiriusXM using the information above, with some different setting on the dip switch. All dip switches are in the OFF position. I was able to get ISimple technical support on this matter. Also in the beginning once everything is connected, I could not get any connection with the satellite. There were no sound at all on preview channel 1. With the help of ISimple technical support, I was instructed to push the tune button of the radio as you connect to SAT source to recycle through the ISimple Gateway. Then the connection was made with SiriusXm.
    I bought all the parts thru Amazon. The first SXV200 tuner was defective, it got stuck in ACQUIRING mode. I had to go thru trouble shooting with SiriusXM technical support. It was concluded that the tuner was defective. I returned the old one and purchase a new one with the option to deliver the same day. I ordered it at 11.30 am and got it delivered at 8.30pm by paying $9.50. That is awesome.
    So the only difference between ISTY11 and ISTY12 is that on the 12 the ISSR12 is already included. Just get the ISTY12.
    I put the antenna inside the cabin like was describe at the previous post. I removed the A pillar assembly using the info found in this forum, so I could run the antenna cable inside the dash. I tucked the antenna wire between the windshield and dashboard using the dash tool remover.
    So in review parts needed for this:
    ISTY12 and SXV200 tuner.

20. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I also want to add my experiences with installing the ISTY12 into my 2012 Prius Two, as I too benefited from this thread.

1.) I tried to re-use my SCC-1 tuner from my Gen2 Prius. No workie. Sure, it plugs into the ISTY12 just fine, but it will not function at all. iSimple tech support also confirms the SCC-1 is pinned differently, and will not work with the ISTY12.

2.) Be careful with the SXV200 antenna port - I didnt take special care when I plugged my antenna in, and it make a crack sound. Dont know if thats why it didnt work, but I had to return it for a new one.

3.) My #1 DIP switch is ON, the rest OFF.

4.) The iSimple instructions tell you to plug the cable into the #2 port; I did. And it works. Maybe Sparis had a different revision than mine, but my ISTY12 module worked as advertised when set up to the manufacturers directions.

Other than that, very easy mod. I placed the Sirius antenna on the dash, tucked the wire in deep between the dashboard and windshield with a thin plastic putty scraper, and ran it down the A pillar, through the kick panel, and then right up to the radio. Now that Ive done it, I could do it again in 10 minutes.