1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius (215,000) Engine rebuild cost? worth it?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by pwegrzy, Feb 15, 2023.

1. pwegrzy

pwegrzy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

I have a 2013 Prius (II). It's been a great car, I am the original owner, and had put on about 215,000.

On my way to Michigan (Petosky area - I live in NW Chicago suburbs), car died (with Hybrid malfunction on screen, and we could hear liquid in the engine area). We would up having it towed to the nearest Toyota dealership (50 miles away in traverse city).

They have diagnosed it as needing an engine rebuild/replace. they said the liquid was coolant flooding the cylinders (i guess probably due to a gasket failure?).

they want over $8000+ to fix it. I love my car, but I can't justify putting that much money into a car with well over 200,000.

It looks like engines are available online for somewhere around $1500, so the $8000+ seems like it's the typical Toyota "let's make it like-new again" type of pricing.

I don't need it perfect, I need to hopefully get another 25,000-40,000 miles to bridge me over for 12-18 months to get me to a new 2023 or 24 prius (I think the wait will be that long - maybe longer).

has anyone replaced an engine for a much more reasonable cost in the Michigan area? I could also potentially get a car dolly and transport it if needed, but logistically I would need to figure out how to do that since I don't have a vehicle I can tow it with.

thanks for any advice.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    out here in CA you can get a low mileage JDM engine installed for $3000 to $4000. some shops will be less, some will be more. But $8000 is crazy

Alonso Tello and pwegrzy like this.
  3. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Jdm engine from fleabay and a local shop like the car care nut. Two guys do it in a day

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hybrid pit in Southern California will ship you a rebuilt engine that a decent local shop could install. Essentially the same thing you get from the dealer for thousands less.

5. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Why does hybrid put say felpro is better than an oem head gasket

6. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Probably because so many oem blow.

7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The Fel-Pro PT series of gaskets is one of the best in the industry I've used them for 50 years almost no kidding I'm that old they even worked well on MG's when they finally made them to fit the MG engines or the British Leyland engines That's why hybrid pit may be saying that they are damn good gaskets not that the Toyota gasket isn't a good part too I don't think that the head gasket failure . Is literally just the head gasket only failing but whatever the PT series of gaskets by felpro are some of the gold standards in the world I do know that.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  9. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    $8,000? Holy inflated quote, Batman!!! (Replacing the engine with a NEW one shouldn't cost that for a 1.8L 4-cylinder!!)

If you're near Chicago, there's a new Lexus/Toyota/Scion shop called The Car Care Nut, TCCN, who can give you an engine replacement quote. His name is Ahmed "Amd" and website is https://www.tccnautomotive.com.

Ahmed is pretty popular on his YouTube channel and has half a million followers and growing. (Every Toyota DIY owner needs to be watching his excellent content.)

pwegrzy and ColoradoCrow like this.
  10. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    WOW 8K is a bit much. I would go with a JDM Rebuilt engine from Hybrid Pit and have it installed locally. There is a guy on these forums who will come to you and do the install. He lives in Oklahoma City but travels anywhere. Look on Instagram under skimmilkhybrid and ask for a quote. I do know you have to have the engine shipped to you and he requires a garage to work in he can do it in a day and brings all his tools with him. His User name on here is HelloMcFly.

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    parts.toyota.com currently shows "partial engine assembly" as "product not available", but I seem to recall it was around $7~8K USD. Here's the part no:

19000-37460

From OP's description, it "may" just be a head gasket job, around $2500 USD?

If oil consumption is runaway, and or piston arm(s) bent, and or cylinder walls scuffed, a new short block is under $2K USD.

@pwegrzy how is the oil consumption?

#11 Mendel Leisk, Feb 16, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2023
    ColoradoBoo likes this.
  12. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Dang, that was hard to decipher... So I clipped this part (which is still not easy to follow) and have to ask:

When the stock head gaskets are failing routinely, what is failing besides the head gasket?(n)
    And from its history, I think the stock head gasket is a bad design.
    Who would use the factory gasket? Fool me once....

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It could be getting a bad rap: it suffers EGR neglect for 150K, finally lets go, the owners get it replaced, say with Felpro, and start cleaning the EGR regularly. And maybe ditch the car after another 50K.

14. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Cylinder walls are lightly scored. Pistons and rings are bad from the factory, the cylinder head is now warped. The whole upper end is carboned up. Generally you have a leak around the timing cover. As a result, the head gasket job by itself may last one to two years. If that long. Some have done it three times in one year.

A rebuild is the only way to go unless you're flipping the car.

#14 rjparker, Feb 16, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2023
    douglasjre likes this.
  15. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There was a guy on Reddit yesterday who does them in a day for $1500...

16. pwegrzy

pwegrzy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    @pwegrzy how is the oil consumption?[/QUOTE]

Oil consumption was fine.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. nicoj36

nicoj36 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can contact him on instagram. His ig is skimmilkhybrid.

PriusCamper likes this.
  18. Todd Bonzalez

Todd Bonzalez Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    8 grand for an engine rebuild on a 10-year old car??

Get a so-called JDM engine, or get an engine from LKQ, or throw in a Gen 4 engine, or try an online junkyard like J&J.

All cheaper options than dropping 8 grand at a dealer

19. HelloMcFly

HelloMcFly Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Feel free to contact me if you’re looking to get this done for less. Thanks to those who mentioned me.

20. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Me personally I want to get an engine that's come from a country where it probably hasn't been touched except for an oil change or two by the time I get it in the States It hasn't been at ye old corner shop with somebody trying to replace water pumps and fooling around with stuff and what have you It hasn't been run up and down American roads by American people who generally speaking really don't give too much of a crap about anything they own because that's just us seriously. So when I go hunting for an engine for one of these I don't want it from LKQ or ye old salvage yard In Louisville Kentucky No sir I worked in the salvage business in the southeast United States and it's not one of my preferred choices to buy things like this at all when the JDM importers first started coming online with a great thing for me before that I was stuck with things like ATK engines which costed a fortune.

douglasjre likes this.