1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 prius 84k miles random misfire

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by DodgeTransmissionsGoBoom, Oct 10, 2022.

1. DodgeTransmissionsGoBoom

DodgeTransmissionsGoBoom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I've had quite a few gen 3 priuss and this is the first one that I think might have a headgasket leak but it only has 84k miles and runs great and gets 55mpg. The issue I keep having is cylinder 2 and 3 will get a misfire when transitioning from eletric to gas for a few seconds then smooth out but only when the engine has warmed up. Never does it when the engine is cold starting and sometimes live data says its 2 and other times it's 3. No overheating, no codes at all, and no smoke out the tailpipe. There was coolant loss but it was due to a loose worm gear clamp on a radiator hose. Haven't driven much since fixing the leaky hose but the misfire still persists after refilling and bleeding the system. I swapped the coils around but that made no difference and replaced 12v battery. Pulled egr tube off and it was somewhat dirty but not obstructed and I've had priuss with much worse clogged egr systems still misfire less then this. Engine coolant temp never gets higher then 202 on the interstate mostly hanging around 195. Anything else to look into or is the headgasket the only thing left? And again it never misfires on cold startup.

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    keep driving it and will end up with a hole in the engine

Grit likes this.
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds to me like normal rough running when atkinson engines are cold...

How do you know there's misfires in #2 & #3 if you don't have any error codes?

A compression test would of course confirm if that's the problem, but you're jumping to the worst conclusions too quickly. Why not move the ignition coils around to see if the misfire moves to different cylinders? Why not inspect the spark plugs to see what it looks like inside of each cylinder? And lastly, once you get a couple quarts low in oil the lack of oil going to the crank shaft can cause misfire codes, so maybe you have issue with oil pump / bottom end and not the top end?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did you clean the four small ports in the intake manifold

5. DodgeTransmissionsGoBoom

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Did you read it closely? It doesnt do it when its cold at all and I did move the coils around and it made no difference. And I saw the misfires from live data. And I haven't gotten around to the plugs I've just never seen one with such low mileage have bad plugs only time i had failed factory plugs was on a 210k oil burner. I guess compression test is next after checking plugs tomorrow. Also it burns no noticeable amount of oil

PriusCamper likes this.
  6. DodgeTransmissionsGoBoom

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I'll check that tomorrow

bisco likes this.
  7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    This is exactly our 13 persona last year. Exactly .put HG and 16 miles from shop. rod lil end let go . Hole in girdle. Etc trashed . Meccie didn't see piston crown trying to roll over . Because he's 23 yrs old . And likes low rider winged cars with big wheels. Matchbox and Corgi type kids. Never again.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How long have you had it? Wondering how it would come to have (non OEM) worm-gear style clamp on coolant hose.

also doesn’t bode good that misfire stays on particular cyl’s when coils moved around.

Recent purchase with rolled-back odometer?

9. DodgeTransmissionsGoBoom

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Previous owner replaced radiator last year after a minor front end collision caused a pin hole leak and replaced the spring clamps with worm gear style but I replaced it back with the good spring type and it hasn't leaked again and carfax says the mileage is correct along with the interior looking like showroom condition. Over the 10 or so priuss I've had its always been the low mileage ones that have the worst issues unfortunately.

Mendel Leisk likes this.