1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius acting very strange PLEASE help

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Taeja1972, Jan 4, 2023.

1. Taeja1972

Taeja1972 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2012 Prius with 188,000 miles on it. The battery will be completely charged and shutting off at stops as it should but then out of nowhere, I have been getting a strange jerk or maybe a surge followed by the battery bar dropping all the way down to one bar which causes the engine to start up and charge the battery but once it is charged the engine does not shut off it just keeps running. I have to press the start button to turn the engine off. When I start it again it runs normally for a bit then same thing happens again. I have searched and searched threads trying to find similar issues but have had no luck. Any help would be appreciated. I am so frustrated and trying to decide if its worth the headache to keep the car or just get rid off it. Oh forgot to mention I have had cells replaced in the hv pack. most recently it was block 14. TIA

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Sounds like it's just time to get a balanced battery in there whether you get something from the hybrid doctor in Virginia or a brand new 1600 rack from the dealer need to do something looks like

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm surprised you're not getting any trouble lights, but it still might be worth checking for codes

4. Taeja1972

Taeja1972 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I got a code once P0A80 the hybrid guy in my area which there are very few replaced the bad blocks. So far he has replaced 3, 11, 12, 13 and the last was 14. I am considering replacing the battery with a reconditioned one but was so puzzled by the strange jerk or surge or whatever it is. I wanted to get some advice first because i have read so many things about 12 v and those causing problems as well. So you guys feel this is almost definitely an hv battery issue causing the jerk then drop in charge? Also do you think the problem with the sudden jerk is that the pack is not balanced and basically on it's last leg?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't recall that ever being a symptom of a bad battery, but maybe tom does. i suppose if the battery charge is jumping around, the transition to engine might feel bad

6. Taeja1972

Taeja1972 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's weird and I'm so puzzled. I took it to have it checked and it didn't come back with any codes at that time. Dealer said all was good. A couple weeks later same thing happened but also got the p0a80 code the hybrid guy did a diagnostic and said block 3 was bad. Changed it out and it was good except the problem with the jerk followed by battery dropping all the way down to 1 bar. The car will be running fine the battery bar will stay pretty steady but all of a sudden it will be the surge or jerk then battery drops. I read somewhere that the prius bar rarely fills all the way and it seems as if mine has the problem when the battery is 1 or 2 bars from the top. It's like the car is trying to keep the battery from being overcharged but something happens and it drains it completely. Sorry for the long post

7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes I don't remember this being a symptom of a bad battery but being that he's had all this work done on this battery that's a few cells there replaced boom boom boom. I mean if you're doing all this work I think that's what we were talking about earlier I would assume plugs are going to be in that mix The first thing to do is check one and two are all four for coolant smell or taste however you do it you want to know if you have coolant getting to the tips of your plugs especially in one and two. Just remember we have Camrys that are in mint condition from coast to coast all needing engines they were the open deck A series I think as hard for me to keep up with all the engine models and all these days but you can find Camry's in perfect condition not a scratch on them I think they're Gen 3 or 4 Camrys maybe fives not sure how that works in the Camry but the one with the A engine where the center sections always bad or broke very similar to the ZZ it's just a thing with an open deck design I believe they've been talking about it for years TRD other folks whoever. So for any of these that I get for dirt cheap Camry or these gen 3s as soon as any bucking or weirdness goes on check the plugs for coolant soak or coolant droplets on the plug and then look at the back of the center section of the engine if you want while it's still sitting in the car and then if you're sitting it near 200,000 mi like most of the cars I see don't start wrenching pull that mess out and save what you can without covers whatever a head but in something from the Japan domestic market that hasn't really had a chance to be here in America and be fooled with 80K on it maybe I just decided to go ahead and get a CVT MG1 and two all with similar mileage so when I put the mess back in the car my engine and transmission is about equal mileage generally should be about equal wear whatever. To me getting the wear as low as possible as in miles and both pieces near same was most important buying a $130,000 mi engine in the United States is a crapshoot at best A Band-Aid possibly for your problem or getting it ready so you can sell a rolling car that does start. None of my stuff is ever for sale so that's never a motivation at all I have no interest in selling anything I own at all no matter how much money you have. I have none of those motivations My stuff is my stuff and staying with me until usually until the death do us part and then everything is stripped and whatever saved.