1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius and 4 bikes on roof - any luck?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by mn4az, Jul 2, 2012.

1. mn4az

mn4az Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hoping that folks can help me. After going round and round of hitch vs roof rack I have decided on doing roof rack because of the versatility (not worried about MPG for the >500 miles/year we'd have the bikes and/or other stuff on the roof). However, from the various installers in my area I am getting mixed messages on putting 4 bikes (2 adult and 2 kids) on top of the roof with the Yakima Whispbar system. My questions:

1. Is there anyone out there have a Yakima Whispbar Flush system with 4 bikes on the roof? If so, what combination of systems did you use for the bike mounts (ie raptor, forklift, frontloader, etc).
    2. If you have put 4 bikes on top, but not with the Whispbar system, what system did you use?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

2. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You should see if the installer would be able to at least mount the trays with bikes and see how all bikes fit mounted prior to purchasing.

Mounting 4 bikes on the roof shouldn't be an issue as long as you can alternate them between front facing and rear facing.

Post your setup on the Show Us Your Rack thread when you finish your setup. Show Us Your Rack! | PriusChat

3. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Also make sure the roof can hold all 4 bikes on top (weight wise). True, a roof rack is more versatile. But, I would just use a hitch mount since that would be easier. I don't see the roof holding 4 bikes. It just doesn't look wide enough.

But, if you go with roof rack route...please post a picture with all four bikes on there.