1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius approaching 100k - warranty work?

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dragonrand, Nov 18, 2019.

1. dragonrand

dragonrand Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My 2012 Prius IV is going to cross the 100k mark in less than 1500 miles. So far no issues - but it got me thinking, is there any reason for me to take it to the dealer while it's still under warranty?

I had a laptop that had an issue just before the warranty was up. The tech on the phone asked if there was ANYTHING else wrong with the laptop. If so, I should mention it now to get it repaired at no cost to me. As it happened, the hinge was really loose and sloppy and the case had a crack in it. They didn't hesitate to send a new case and hinge-screen assembly.

That's what got me thinking about whether there's any similar situation with my car. If I take it to the dealer without presenting any specific problem, will they just laugh me out of there? OR more likely, will they try to sell me a bunch of optional services I don't really need?

Thanks in advance for all thoughts.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they won't laugh, they'll charge you. they only do warranty after determining that something is under warranty. otherwise you pay. if you don't want to fix it, you still pay for the diagnosis.

your car doesn't have a 100,000 mile warranty. so you have to determine what parts are still under warranty (hybrid components, emissions) and if you are having a problem, take it in.

3. dragonrand

dragonrand Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Gotcha, thanks. I couldn't remember the details of my warranty, and kind of assumed it was 10 year or 100K, as I used to hear some automakers advertising in the past. I hadn't had a chance to go digging through documentation yet. I didn't really expect there to be a good reason to take it in with no problems going on, but I'd have hated to learn that I SHOULD have taken it in once I was sitting at 100,023 miles because they'd have given me a free baby unicorn or something.... :)

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    LOL, that is probably exactly right

now, if you're willing to pony up $150. or so, they just might find some warranty work, who knows?