1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 prius base bluetooth radio into 2010 2011

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by IMkenNY, Apr 15, 2012.

1. pawwright

pawwright Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I realize this is an old thread but hoping some of you are still active. If I buy PT546-00120-CH wire harness (the 28 pin to 20 pin connector) adapter, would/do I still need the Metra 40-LX21 Antenna adapter also? Thanks very much for any info.

2. FrankB

FrankB Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, they are both needed.

pawwright likes this.
  3. mateas

mateas New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know, I'm reviving a really old thread here but I'm pulling straws trying to figure my situation out. I'm putting a nav radio from a 2014 Scion XB into my '06 TC (it's all Toyota anyways), everything works great except no sound, after tons of searching I came across your post IMkenNY. I'm exploring your antenna amplifier wire solution, ordered the adaptor harness kit from Toyota (pt546-00142) for the antenna and to keep the Bluetooth and SWC, but I'm confused about the pin 8 wire on the 10 pin connector, did you just unplug and leave it unplugged? The first line says it needs to be disconnected, but the next quote says you connected that wire to pin 3 of the 12 pin connector. Appreciate any clarification you can give!

4. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Its been a while but If everything else is working just disconnect this wire and you should have audio.

5. zdaughtry1

zdaughtry1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I know this has been a while but does anyone know which wires we have to swap over to the 28 pin connector to get the steering wheel controls working? I read through the whole thread and I dont think I saw that question answered anywhere. Thanks!!!!!!

6. FrankB

FrankB Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't believe there are any swaps needed for the steering wheel controls.

7. Ivo

Ivo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I hope you are still answering here. I bought a 2010 Prius with the standard (no LCD screen) radio the model on the face is 51882. I am not sure which head unit you had in your 2011 Prius. Was your old head unit with the Navi or it was the one without the screen?

8. Hammond_Egger

Hammond_Egger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ivo,
    I just did this swap, I had the 51882 in my 2011. I used the 57034 radio, it works great.
    I used the scion harness to adapt to the 28 pin harness and the antenna adapter mentioned above.
    The only difference for us with the JBL radios is that the beige wire is in pin 11 of the 20 pin connector. I cut this wire and connected it to the blue wire on the antenna adapter.
    I have yet to wire up the backup camera.

My FM/AM reception has greatly improved since doing the swap (and having HD radio is nice two.

Also, if you have XM SAT, you will need to update your ID with XM with the new radio ID.

Hope this helps.

9. Coots

Coots Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I know this is an old thread, but I just want to add that using the above mentioned 20-to-28 pin Toyota / Scion adapter harness is NOT a direct plug and play installation. At least for me with the JBL sound system it was not.

I mapped out pin locations for both the 2010 and 2012 prius to compare where each wire should go from the 2010 to the 2012 radio.

There are 2 wires that need to be moved from 2010 prius plug L41 to L40 in order to get the voice command prompts for handsfree and navigation guidance working. I simply depinned them, moved them to the other plug and it works fine now. If you don't do this, you won't have voice command prompts. Hands free calling still works though.

Also, for those with the JBL system, the beige antenna wire is in plug L40, pin 13 (L40-13). I didn't need to cut the beige wire to get sound. I had sound when I left this as is. In order to make sure the antenna amplifier was working via the adapter plug, I depinned the beige wire and simply connected it to the blue wire of the antenna adapter.

Also; for those wondering about:

the back up camera, yes, it would be possible to add it (if your car did not come with this originally). However, two wires are missing from the Toyota 20-to-28 pin adapter harness. Routing the camera to the rear of the car is more work than it's worth to me.

Car info button working?
    This should be possible to get working, too. I believe all that is needed is to connect the wire on the adapter harness for vehicle speed sensor and add the two wires for CAN communication.

-A

#69 Coots, Apr 16, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  10. Coots

Coots Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I should also add, that in doing this conversion to the 2010:
    The speed lock function does NOT work. This is because the 2010 Prius (at least without OEM Navi) does not have the speed sensor wire present, so there is no wire going to the 2012 radio. I am able to use the Navi while driving.

11. Maroc03

Maroc03 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    I
    It's been over a decade now so now this thread is really old but I'm hoping someone still responds. I'm getting ready to do this install on my 2011 Prius that came with the standard radio unit so I can replace it with a base touchscreen HU that I got from a 2014 for a great deal. I already bought the PT546-00120-CH 20 to 28 pin connector, as well as the adapter for the antenna. However, the main reason I'm installing this screen is so I can hookup a backup camera, and for that I'm gonna need the 16 pin wiring harness that goes into the 2014's head unit. The problem is this 16 pin wiring harness/connector doesn't exist in my 2011, so how do I go about hooking up (an aftermarket) backup camera to the new HU? I read and re-read this whole thread and a couple others like it but couldn't really find any helpful information regarding that 16 pin connector for camera connection apart from which wires the OEM camera goes to, which still doesn't solve my problem of what's supposed to power that 16-pin wiring harness. Besides the camera, what exactly is the function of that 16-pin wiring harness on the 2012-15 models? I purchased an adapter for that connector that comes with a yellow video cable that plugs into an aftermarket backup camera. If I connect my aftermarket camera video wire to the one on the 16-pin adapter and tap the camera's reverse wire to the HU's reverse wire (located on the 28 pin connector) while leaving the rest of that 16-pin connector disconnected, will the reverse camera still work? If not, what is needed to be added/done in order to get that camera working?

12. Maroc03

Maroc03 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    I
    How do I hookup the OEM mic to the HU? I bought a used overhead map light that came with one. 3 out of the 4 pins on the 28-pin connector that IMKenNY says hookup to the mic wires are missing wires (they're completely blank, empty holes). The 28-pin connector that I have is the PT546-00120-CH adapter btw, if that changes anything. Even when I fished each wire thru the holes where each pin is supposed to be and I connected to the HU, it doesn't work and the screen still reads out "There is no microphone connected. The handsfree system is not available". The wires are clearly visible and there is no reason for them not to be making contact with the prongs located at the back of the HU. What am I doing wrong? Do I have to get those little metal things that attach to the wire and go into each pin of the connector? Those are like impossible to find. Some help would be great, thanks