1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius C back up camera reverse signal wire

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by 2012priuisC, Jan 2, 2023.

1. 2012priuisC

2012priuisC New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I recently installed a back-up camera and found this forum had some helpful information. The head unit of my new radio has the ability to connect to a back-up camera. It also has a wire for a reverse signal, which supplies +12 volts when the car is put into reverse. There are a number of ways to do this, this is just one. For the Prius C 2012 you can see the access hatch in an attached photo and a purple signal wire that I used in another photo. You will see a red probe at the purple wire I used to test the signal. There is a brown wire next to the purple that can be used as well but the purple was more accessible. I spliced the purple wire and connected the reverse signal wire to the head unit into the purple wire. I used a simple 6-12 volt light probe to ensure this signal wire only had power when the car was shifted into reverse prior to splicing any wires. There is a convenient grounding location under the piece of floor panel at the very end of the trim running along the floor on the left front floor. I used this grounding location with my light probe to test the signal wire. You should always test the wire prior to splicing. I may add a few more pictures of connectors to this post later. I hope this helps someone install a back-up camera in less time with less effort than it took me. Best regards.

Attached Files:

2. Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for sharing this info!

3. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    My Toyota Aqua came with a Pioneer Carrozzeria that already had the reverse wire 12v signal from the harness plug behind the stereo.
    so if you do some probing the reverse wire/feed is already there.

When I installed the reverse camera ito mine, all I did was splice the 12v feed into this same wire [this saved me having to tap into the reverse lights]
    All I needed to do was enable the reverse camera feature [instructions were in Japanese in the handbook]

4. 2012priuisC

2012priuisC New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    No such luck for me. I had to go to Toyota tech info and pay for 2 day access. Figure out the wiring diagrams, then figure out where the connections and relays were located using the same general manual they provide. Finally after looking at the relay locations I found where the connectors were located. The wires in the connector feed the back-up light circuit from the connection near the steering wheel. I could have tapped the back-up light but I wanted to find a source closer to the radio. I found some information on here about a different Prius model and the location of the reverse signal wire was in a totally different location. I probed every wire in the floor connections to no avail and then realized I had to get the Toyota information. I spent the better part of day figuring all this out. Hopefully my post saves someone all that effort in the future.

5. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    The next time I'm pulling the Radio out [I'm always tinkering with shit on it] I will Identify the wire,plug and colour and post it here for future reference to others.

There is a transmission selector switch from the lever nearby. So it must have a 12v feed and also send 12v back the reverse lights.