1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius C maintenance mode - service information and coolant change

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by zerok, Sep 22, 2016.

1. zerok

zerok New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm finding it pretty difficult to find any sort of DIY service information about this car, there's hardly anything in the pdf manual either. I'm not sure how similar the Prius C is to the regular liftbacks as far as the engine/battery layout is, and I'm generally pretty hesitant on doing any sort of work on a car I'm not familiar with yet. If anybody can clear up the differences that'd be great!

As far as what led me to post, I'm going to be changing the engine coolant pretty soon and all I've found are write-ups regarding the liftbacks. In the attached video he put the Prius in maintenance mode in order to run the engine and cycle the coolant, does this mode exist in the C and how would I get to it? My Prius doesn't have smart key either, so that adds to the confusion.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. gforcegt13

gforcegt13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Yes, it has Maintenance Mode and can be enable the same way as in the video as I am doing a coolant drain as well in 2012 Prius C. It takes about 40 minutes(at idle in maintenance mode) for the engine to get to the bubble point which is listed down in the comments of the video.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Matt H

Matt H Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    Everything you need to know to work on this car is in the factory service information. You have to buy a couple-day sub, or you can buy a 1year sub from All data DIY or Mitchel DIY. https://www.techinfo.toyota.com/

Here is how to do the coolant change in the Prius C, step by step:

1. Remove filler cap (radiator cap is not on the actual radiator).

2. Loosen the radiator drain cock on the lower-left side of the radiator (coolant will come out, so be ready).

3. Remove the stop clip from the engine coolant drain (next to the oil filter).

4. Pull the the engine drain cock down (you can use a hose on this so it doesn't spill everywhere).

5. When coolant is done draining, push the drain cock back in, and re-insert the stop clip.

6. Tighten the radiator drain cock.

7. Fill the radiator with coolant where you removed the filler cap. 5.2 liter capacity. You should use a vacuum filler if you have one.

8. Fill the reserve tank until the coolant is at the "full" line.

9. Squeeze the upper radiator hose while holding your hand over the fill port, or while the cap is on. This will bleed some air. If the level is now lower, fill it again.

10. Install the filler cap and reserve tank cap.

11. Put the engine in maintenance mode by (if you don't have a scan tool) doing the following within 60 seconds:
    a. Turn the ignition switch on, or if Smart Key, push the Power button twice WITHOUT stepping on the brake.
    b.Fully depress the accelerator pedal twice with the shift lever in P.
    c. Fully depress the accelerator pedal twice with the shift lever in N.
    d. Fully depress the accelerator pedal twice with the shift lever in P.
    e. If Smart Key, step on the brake and push the Power button again, and engine will start.

AC must be off, heater on max, and blower on low.

12. Bleed air from cooling system by running the engine until the thermostat opens. You can feel this by hand as vibrations in the radiator hoses (they will be hot).

13. Shut the engine off.

14. After the engine completely cools, open the filler cap, and add coolant if it's low.

#3 Matt H, May 3, 2017
    Last edited: May 3, 2017
    Lukey51 likes this.
  4. PriusII&C

PriusII&C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Matt,

In your steps 3-5, are these for draining the inverter coolant, or are they for draining the engine coolant? I am not sure if Prius C is just like Honda Odyssey, which needs to drain the coolant in the engine block.

5. PriusII&C

PriusII&C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I only drained about 1 gallon coolant from my 2012 Prius C (including the radiator, the inverter, and the reservoir). I know that some coolant still remains in the engine block, but this is still way less than the total coolant capacity. Is this normal? How much did you drain from your Prius C?