1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius C, Moonglow Pearl, HIGH Milleage

Discussion in 'Prius Cars For Sale' started by UoD, May 21, 2021.

1. UoD

UoD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey everyone! I am currently selling my wife's 2012 Prius C Two. Located in Charleston, SC. This is a HIGH mileage vehicle --- ~355k on it. It's a Toyota though, so that means it's just getting broken in, right? She drove it back and forth on a highway 110 miles each way every day for ~7 years, ~5 days a week. ~95% of the miles on this vehicle are highway miles.

The interior looks GREAT for its age and for the mileage. The exterior doesn't look as great. I am currently replacing the front bumper due to it being pretty torn up from all of the rocks hitting it on the highway. The hood has some good paint chips as well. And rear bumper has a crease and crack on the side. I'll post pictures of all of this once I get the new bumper on this weekend.

So -- here's the good news! This thing has been a tank! Seriously -- this is the best vehicle I have ever owned from a reliability, cost of ownership, and maintenance perspective. I changed the oil myself every 7k-8k miles. I changed the sparkplugs at around 120k and again every 50k or so after. I've had the transmission fluid, inverter fluid, and coolant replaced several times (took it to a local Lexus shop to have it done, didn't do this myself).

Front brakes were replaced about a year ago. One wheel bearing was replaced at the same time. That's the ONLY work we have needed done on this other than tire changes and the above listed basic maintenance items.

Is there anything mechanically wrong with the car? Two minor things that I am aware of, and that's it. The first is the standard Prius C problem where the door lock actuators have failed on most of the doors. This is a $10 each part if you want to spend the time swapping out just the little actuator motor, or about $22-24 each if you want to swap out each full assembly (quicker, but more expensive) with an aftermarket one from ebay. There is even an awesome video someone posted here on PriusChat showing how to do it! The second thing is a light clicking noise that I am hearing when the A/C is on. I think it might be the dampener vent. I plan to check that out this weekend.

This thing still drives great. I might have been able to get another few years of highway driving out of it, but I wanted to be proactive and get my wife a new car. So, sadly, this little white tank needs to go. It’s not a looker – it’s a driver. Great first car for a kid starting out driving, and it’s really easy to work on so would be great to teach your kid how to change oil, plugs, etc.

Feel free to ask any questions, and I'll make sure to toss up some pictures as soon as I get the rest of the exterior cleaned up. (If someone is really interested and wants a video walkthrough of the vehicle or photos, I'll happily accommodate right away even before I finish up with my exterior cleanups).

Now that you've read through all of that --- you want to know the price, huh? The market is super weird right now, and prices are all over the place. The KBB private party valuation on this car, in FAIR condition, is between $3079 and $5370, with an average at $4225. I am listing this car for sale at $3900 locally, which I believe to be in line with what I am seeing in the SE and Mid Atlantic areas. I'm a reasonable guy and definitely open to conversation though --- so, if you are interested, let’s talk about it! Open to any and all offers!

#1 UoD, May 21, 2021
    Last edited: May 21, 2021
    bisco likes this.
  2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Scotty says highway miles are 10% of city miles. So only 35k. Now that he lives in Tennessee he is almost your neighbor. I think I would start with $3k.
    4F6B9C05-6C7D-486C-A075-E96837217749.jpeg

3. UoD

UoD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    SOLD.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    So how much did you get for a 355k mile 2012 Prius c?

5. UoD

UoD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    First buyer to show up wanted to get it for her kid's first car -- so, I gave her a deal at $3k. Could have held out and got more for sure, but sometimes its more about getting it to the right person than it is getting the most money.

ILuvMyPriusToo and rjparker like this.