1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius c Product Information - Starting at $18,950; Topping out at $23,230

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Danny, Feb 8, 2012.

1. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

toyota has yet to intorduce new 1.5l engine, they keep using 1.5l NZ in both japan and usa. it seems to me that they decided it is not worth it.

on the other hand larger ZR from 3G would be too large for this car, there is simply no need, otherwise Toyota would reuse the ZR engine.

2. Bodgerx

Bodgerx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

According to the presentation, the rear seat still folds on the 1 it just doesn't split.

3. Yespage

Yespage New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That was my understanding. I'll probably want the 60/40 split.

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Looks great. 5.5 inches ground clearance is over an inch higher than the Volt.

The headlights are also projection type, not the typical cheap reflector in the class.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Great prices! Boy... Honda's going have even an tougher time moving their hybrids now. When the c ships, it'll be interesting to see how much further Insight II and HCH sales are eroded.

6. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, this is not a new engine. They will improve it when they find the expenditure useful for the otto version. I would expect that when toyota does a redesign, the engine will be more expensive, but jump to around 40% peak efficiency.
    At design time it definitely was not too large, it is now:D, they have other components packaged to make it a major problem to fit the other engine. The reason for using the 2zr-fxe would be for better acceleration and epa combined fuel economy along with better NVH. These are the same reasons that it was chosen for the gen III liftback. The prius c is not high powered even in its class. The reasons they chose to go this way is cost and differentiation from the liftback. These are good reasons.

January 2012
    Insight II down to 492, HCH 449. With the prius c and c-max hybrid coming on line we can expect these market shares to drift even lower, but they doesn't have much further to fall.

7. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

as i keep mentioning, Prius c is above Yaris class, based on Verso-s.

Just like Prius was always above Corolla class, as it is based on Verso.

Toyota based them on cars half size and half class higher, so when you compare, they come up favorably... you can also see it by choice of materials and fit and finish compared to Yaris for instance.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2012 Prius c Pricing! (USA)

2012 Toyota Prius c Review: Car Reviews

A few key points in the article

• Bluetooth handsfree calling is standard
    • You can get cruise control for under $20,000 (Someone was mentioning they wanted cruise)
    • I'm guessing the upgraded audio is the 4-speaker unit?
    • SKS on Three but doesn't say if it's 1-dr or 3-dr
    • If you don't need cruise, it seems the base model is fairly well equipped.

No mention how much the 16" alloys (in the article) or the moonroof (in the photos) cost as optional extras.

So basically.. a loaded Prius c Four with SofTex & Entune or a base Prius Liftback Two.

9. lolstebbo

lolstebbo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You can keep mentioning that here and on other forums, but most people in the US have no flipping clue what a Verso-S is; even Toyota USA's own presentation uses the Yaris as a frame of reference. If the Prius C is drived from the Verso-S, which is based on the Yaris, then, for all intents and purposes, the Prius C is based on the Yaris.

10. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    exactly - stretched yaris chasis including engine block and aqua/c new sheetmetal. Some things borrowed from prius, some from camry, others new or from the low price parts bin. It doesn't really matter that anouther car also has a stretched yaris chasis with the same wheel base. The toyota colaterial material shows it compared to - a yaris and a prius.:D

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Whoops. Didn't see this thread!

Definitely great pricing! and a good level of equipment for this price class imo. I could see most people going with the Two unless they really really want SKS or nav (And those that aren't coming from a Prius may not miss SKS if they never had it before).

It's also odd that a cargo area lamp is missing on the One.

12. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: 2012 Prius c Pricing! (USA)

I hate the games they play, that doesn't include destination charges:(

http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases/toyota+pricing+2012+prius+c.htm

6 speakers on 2-4 trims

3 door sks
    I think the 1 also doesn't have seat height adjustments. I don't think I've ever needed to split fold down the seat (I have because its easier), but I wouldn't fit right without adjustments:D

The real deal is if you want a moon roof and bigger wheels but don't care for leather or solar:D

1 person likes this.
  13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Or that.. so a Prius c Three w/ MR or w/ 16" Alloy Pkg. vs. a Prius LB Two.

14. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh lord. Looks like I'm gonna have to go order one now. :)

15. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    Is the most basic google search really too much to ask for when talking about technical details; in this case why one can expect better materials in B-segment MPVs (Fit, Prius-c, Verso-s) than plain B-segment cars (Yaris, Fiesta)?

16. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

well I am trying to educate you :).

It is half size nicer car. Just like Corolla isnt an stretched out Yaris, and Camry isnt an stretched out Corolla, Verso-s and Ractis are not just stretched out Yaris.

Verso-s have higher class materials, better/more expensive suspension, better build quality and more standard equipment vs Yaris. It is also significantly more expensive than Yaris, here in Europe, even with the same engine as Yaris.

For instance, Prius c has more high strenght steel, more aluminium, better damped suspension, more noise isulation, better build quality, better material quality and hybrid drive, compared to Yaris, together with completely different exterior, interior and wheelbase lenght.

Prius c has tilt and telescopic steering wheel, while Yaris has tilt only for instance...

In general, just sit and drive Prius c/Verso-s and site and drive Yaris and you will see why I keep mentioning it, you will notice all these differences right away.

Toyota compares it to Yaris because you never heard of Verso-s or Ractis and Yaris is direct competitor here in the USA. Nor would average american journalist understand why does Toyota sell iQ, Yaris, Verso-s and Aygo, to them they are all "tiny" cars :).

17. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    wow that price is really gonna push the envelop on the entry level/first time purchases. i think we may have a sales leader here

18. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My wife would kill me if I tried to suggest a non-SKS car for her use.

19. phenoyz

phenoyz Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    what is an SKS?

20. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in