1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius C shaking, check engine light blinking

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Zindel, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Zindel

Zindel New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I was driving home normally, then all of a sudden when I hit the gas from a light The whole car started shaking pretty violently and the check engine light started blinking, as I continued to drive every time I hit the gas it would start shaking or sputtering? forgive my wording. I pulled over for a second because I was in shock and let the car rest for a minute, but when I pulled out again the shaking persisted. I needed two be home so I kept driving and after hitting 50-60mph the shaking slowly stopped and it began to drive like normal and the C.E.L turned off n. My C has around 47,500 miles and I just got it pretty recently, any ideas as to what this could/could've been?

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The gas engine is misfiring. Misfires can cause permanent damage. Avoid driving until you can get a real diagnosis.

Best to get this towed to a shop.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    On the 700 mile road trip when my parents drove me off to college, rolling through Wisconsin in the middle of the night, we got a fillup of bad gas. Managed to keep it running long enough to add some better gas at the next station we saw.

Nothing like that has happened to me in recent decades; seems like no matter where I buy gas, however small the town, it's always gas. Sometimes the privilege of having good regulators doing their jobs every day can become so unnoticed it gets taken for granted.