1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius - Contractor Special

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by todos23, Oct 29, 2012.

1. todos23

todos23 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We recently installed a hitch and fabricated a goal post bar to carry lumber and other materials over 10' in length. The hitch extension was built to match the elevation of our existing Thule rack so that long items could sit flat and easily be secured using rubber bungees and ratchet straps. This set up is great for carrying lumber, irrigation pipe, and drain pipe. It was also designed to accommodate a kayak.

On the contracting side of things, the Prius has now become a valuable part of our fleet for our Landscape Design/Build fleet. The low car height makes for easy loading and unloading. Of course you can't beat the gas mileage when you are driving almost 1500-2000 miles per month.

We are still waiting for a 35 mpg clean turbo diesel pickup that would compete directly with the Toyota Tacoma. Until then, the Prius Contractor special will do just fine.

photo 3.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 4.JPG

spiderman, F8L, mrstop and 1 other person like this.
  2. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very cool. My buddy is a painting contractor in LA and lays down a lot of miles between jobs. He recently made the switch from a full size Chevy pickup to a Prius for his job. It was costing him $80-$100 per day in fuel in the truck. Now, it is practically nothing and all of that money is going back to the bottom line after the few days a month it takes him to recoup his car payment.

He has been considering a rack or trailer to help haul his equipment, but so far he has been able to manage to carry everything without much trouble. He is simply amazed with the car.

3. AppFan

AppFan New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Pretty cool! I may just need to add a tow bar to increase my Thule bars usefulness.
    Regarding the high mpg diesel pickup, I had really hoped the Mahindra that was talked about a few years ago would have come here but it never panned out....

4. SuperchargedMR2

SuperchargedMR2 Diehard Rams Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Now if you built a similar bar on the front that you could take off & on you could carry really long items! ;)

5. todos23

todos23 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Mahindra was a joke. The Volkswagen Amorak is an amazing clean diesel truck that is not available in the USA http://www.vw.com.mx/es/models/amarok/galeria.html

Here is what really bothers me. Check the power to weight ratio and the MPG ratings below.

Toyota Tacoma - Regular Cab
    21 Mpg City and 25 Mpg Highway
    4cyl - 159hp - 180lb-ft of torque
    Curb Weight 3,250 lbs

VW Jetta TDI Wagen (Clean Diesel)
    30 Mpg City and 42 Mpg Highway
    4cyl - 140hp- 236lb-ft of torque
    Curb Weight 3283lbs