1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius dealer denied enhance warranty on Inverter

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by PhantomX35, Oct 17, 2022.

1. PhantomX35

PhantomX35 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Has anyone got denied for the Warranty Enhancement Program (ZE3)?

I have a 2012 Prius (130K miles). My wife was driving and it went into limp mode w/ Check hybrid System. She mention she was running late so I assume she was driving it hard. I pulled it to the nearest shop and was told it needed a new inverter (w/ DTC P0A94, P0C3A, and P0C3B). I googled the Codes and found the Warranty Enhancement Program (ZE3)- Warranty extension for hybrid inverter Assembly (document found online (unable to post link)). My vehicle falls under the effected vehicle, I completed the IPM recall and my vehicle has the code P0A94. I called Toyota, who first told me they will cover it. I had it towed to the dealership. I spoke with a different service staff, who did not know the warranty enhancement existed. I dropped off the documents for program to prove it existed. They ran their diagnostic, which showed P0A94, P0C3A and P0C3B. They told me I needed a new inverter. They told me it is not covered under the warranty. I can't understand their reasoning for the denial other then they mention there is nothing wrong with the IPM and that replacing the "IPM" would not fix my problem. I try to explain the enhancement is not for the "IPM" but the whole inverter assembly.

Looking for past experience or Ideas. I had contact a Warranty Admin from a sister dealership, who stated she doesnt see why it wont be covered. I contact corporate for further assistance.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Call another dealer get with the service department that knows what they're talking about while you're waiting to talk to them again it's usually two or three in an area

3. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Grit likes this.
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I can't either. I assume this document was one of the ones you dropped off with them?

It does have a list of eligible VINs on page 2. I don't know why only some VINs are listed. Is yours among them?

It also says "not all vehicles in the VIN range are covered" and that the dealer needs to check your specific VIN in TIS before completing repairs. I also do not know what unexplained criteria govern that TIS lookup, unless that's how they've kept track of whether the prerequisite E0E recall was applied.

The language on p. 1 is a bit ambiguous, only saying "vehicles covered under this warranty enhancement must first have Safety Recall E0E performed (if applicable)." I was never sure whether that meant "you haven't had E0E, tough luck!" or "you haven't had E0E, so we have to apply that now", but if that's what they are looking up in TIS, I guess that would be an answer to that question.

I'm not seeing any other reason a situation like yours would not be covered.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Don’t clear the codes yet and call a Toyota authorize dealers and explain to them over the phone about the warranty. Once they acknowledge the ipm warranty and will cover all cost then drive there with vehicle to run diagnostics.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If the settlement is approved (which is expected to happen January 13th), then as of February 12th, the current extended warranty (15 years / unlimited miles) will be extended to 20 years / unlimited miles.

7. PhantomX35

PhantomX35 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V

That is the document i provided to the dealer. My Vin Is listed and I had the E0E recall completed.

8. PhantomX35

PhantomX35 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    They have the vehicle and pulled the p0a94 code from my vehicle

9. PhantomX35

PhantomX35 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Spoke with the Head Service director, Warranty Admin, and Toyota Brand Engagement, who came to an agreement that I qualified for the Warranty Enhancement. The vehicle is being repaired at no cost. I did have to partial pay for a new battery after they left my vehicle on and damaged the 12v battery.

CR94 likes this.