1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

[2012 Prius] Do You Have the USB Startup Bug?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Rebound, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have a Base model 2012 Prius Plug-in. It has a radio system called "Display Audio with Navigation and Entune," which also ships on other Prius 2012 models. I keep a USB thumb drive plugged into the USB port at all times.

Here's the problem: When I start the car, it will start playing the last-used audio source, and after several seconds, it switches to the USB thumb drive. This occurs about 1/3 of the time. This is very annoying to me. I called Toyota and they said they've never heard of this issue.

Please chime in if you've experienced this. Or, if you don't have this problem, I would like to know. Maybe it is the kind of drive I'm using. But two key things:
    • 2012 Display Audio with Entune
    • USB thumb drive plugged in at all times
    If we collect enough user data, I can convince Toyota to fix it. Please post your results. Thanks!

2. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Lots of complaints here about this annoying "feature" on various 2012 models with Display Audio and Entune. The same thing often happens when you connect a phone or iPod - I get it with my iPhone.

3. schlem

schlem Polygeek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    2012 Prius 3
    USB thumbdrive with Radio Lab podcasts ALWAYS plugged. ALWAYS defaults to USB input and keys up last spot in current podcast regardless of source selected. I'd call it a bug too.

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The other two threads in the Prius c and v forums have been closed with a link provided leading to here for those who wish to add their input so all info is consolidated into one thread and not spread across multiple forums.

5. MarathonMarty

MarathonMarty Prii 4-timer

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    2012 Prius v3: I have an 8gb Sony USB drive plugged in all of the time but I alternate between use of it, HD FM, CD and Pandora via Entunes/ipad3. I have never had a problem. The system performs flawlessly. The source I select is the one that plays. I've never had an unselected source start up. When I do select the USB drive it will always start up where I left off. Not sure what is going on with the complain-tents systems.

6. krneidigh

krneidigh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Not as frequent as yours, but enough. It also does it with my Bluetooth connected phone. For USB I use iPod and some of the tracks lock the controls if they are playing and I turn off the car. So that when I get back in the track is now playing slow and I can't navigate with any controls, but the screen. After I switch tracks everything works fine. I know the tracks that play slow and I try to avoid turning off the car on them. I also listen to audiobooks and some of them just play fast upon turning on the car. I have tried different iPODs but the same applies with the same tracks and they don't do it on aftermarket stereos.

Adam Leibovitch likes this.
  7. Adam Leibovitch

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This happens to me every 7th start up if I had to guess. Except for me its the bluetooth music from my phone that the car auto switches to on those times.

8. Yuval Legendtofski

Yuval Legendtofski Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I've got the base model Prius C.

I've noticed this bug as well. I get it when I switch from the Bluetooth, then try to play music off the USB. The system seems to freeze when trying to read off the USB stick. In the past I will switch to the FM radio, then back to USB and it sometimes kicks in, but now it just doesn't do it. I basically unplug and replug-in the USB stick then it picks it up.

My Bluetooth phone thing is a bit flaky as well, I think there must be some sort of OS (or Firmware) hardware detection issue when it switches between external devices. A Software Driver perhaps?

9. Bruce Irving

Bruce Irving New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've got that bug. Very annoying, especially as the sound levels vary greatly from the FM source and the USB source - I need to kick up the USB sound, so when it switches on, it can be deafening. Not good when I'm pulling out into traffic...

10. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    2012 PiP with an iPod 4G connected prior to starting the car everyday. It's completely random. Most of the time, it will just start up the last audio source I played prior to shutdown. Other times, it plays or doesn't play whatever it wants to. Will be difficult to diagnose as it appears to be random.

11. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What you'll notice is that the car first plays the last-used audio source (AM/FM/ SAT) before it switches to USB or Bluetooth audio.

12. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You guys have Entune version 2.1.0?

13. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    For me, when it fouls up, it plays the iPod for a few seconds and then goes quiet. It doesn't switch to anything. It starts searching the iPod. Sometimes unplugging the USB fixes the problem. Most of the time, I have to reboot the iPod.

14. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I checked, and yes, it's 2.1.0. This problem didn't happen with the Entune software that came with the car.

15. SaidWhat

SaidWhat Junior Member

Hmm, not sure this is the same problem but...
    2012 PiP. Every time I plug in my iphone 3gs, the audio system starts playing the first song on the phone. I would prefer it stuck with whatever audio source was playing just before plug-in (radio or whatever) b/c most of the time I am just trying to keep the phone charged. I kind of get it, it's just like putting in a CD, the system assumes you want it to play. But of course, a CD and a phone are much different devices -- you can't charge a CD. Any way to override this behavior?

16. vbgoz

vbgoz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am facing the same issue. It tries to play music from my iPhone's library even when I don't intend it to.

17. benalexe

benalexe Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is the most frustrating part about the car

18. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    For me, the most frustrating part with the PiP is loading and paying for gasoline......:confused:

WE0H and Chris S like this.
  19. Chris Hays

Chris Hays Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello. I stumbled on this while looking for something else. I had this problem. The dealer was clueless. But I decided to experiment with different USB drives and lo and behold, when a good fast usb drive is used, the problem goes away!

Here is what I think is happening:

You turn on the car.
    The system boots up.
    Slow USB drive does not fully initialize before the system is ready.
    System becomes ready.
    USB drive finally finishes initializing.
    When the drive comes on line, the car "thinks" it has just been inserted into the USB jack, and thus switches to it.

A faster USB thumb drive solved this completely. I use a Transcend USB 3.0 drive, but I'm pretty sure that any thumb drive rated for high speed will work. If you have a bunch of different makes/models you might just want to experiment.

Chris

20. Greg braun

Greg braun Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Love my prius......however the sound system, GPS, and cell phone bugs are unacceptable! Hope the drivetrain is better. Can it be that difficult for one of the worlds largest corps to fix this? And why did these systems get into production in such abysmal condition?