1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius - Engine Overheating

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Moonlite, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Moonlite

Moonlite Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    While I was climbing a hill on my way home on a hot (100F) day, the engine over temp light came on. I immediately pulled over in the shade. There was a little coolant that purged from the engine reservoir tank cap, but the level of coolant was still okay. After letting it cool, I continued on. The over temp light never came on again.

The next day, I drove a little ( 1/2 mile on a nearby steep hill) and found that the driver side radiator hose near the engine is hot. However, the radiator hose on the passenger side near the pump and thermostat is cool. The radiator is also cool. The over temp light never came on. Also, the smaller hose that connects to the top of the radiator and T's into the driver side radiator hose is hot.

How do I check if it is the thermostat stuck closed or that the pump is not working, with out replacing the thermostat first?

Thanks!

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    take the pump out and hookup to 12v source,as for thermos3 place in boiling water to see it open

3. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your car might have a partially clogged radiator. What you're describing happened with my 92 Honda Civic that I had 10 years ago. I installed a new radiator - no more overheating.

I doubt it's the thermostat. It would need to be rusted pretty badly to be stuck closed and today's anti-freezes have enough rust preventative to assure the thermostat doesn't rust - unless the coolant is spent, unlikely with a 2012.

You probably would have heard the engine water pump making a lot of noise before it failed altogether.

Just the opinions of a DIY mechanic with over 30 years experience with trial and error repairs. A lot of errors in the pre-internet days but that's water under the bridge, whatever the hell that means.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The one thermostat I had go bad, failed in such a way that it was opening too soon, closing too late. Also it had fraying rubber gasket, so that even when "closed" it was leaking. In other words, it's failure caused over-cooling. This would become apparent after extended highway drives: lowish rpm, easy load, high wind speed through the front grill. Not sure if that's the usual, but that's my one case.

5. Moonlite

Moonlite Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I decided to go with replacing the thermostat, I just picked up a new one from Toyota.

Mendel, do you have any words of wisdom you have after doing this job yourself? I'm assuming I'll need to drive it up on ramps and access it from the top and bottom?

6. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to your first posts on Prius Chat (y).

How many miles on your Prius? What part of CA are you in?

The thermostat is located at the water pump, so a drain on the coolant system helps;).

I helped another member change out their water pump and thermostat several months ago. Good job to pool together;).

Keep us posted(y).

7. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    1/2 mile is not going to get the coolant flowing. I'd just observe before pulling things apart just yet, unless you have a good reason to believe it is necessary at this point....

8. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Probably use heated coolant, not boiling water, if you want to test the thermostat....

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sorry, should have clarified: my experience was on another vehicle.

10. Moonlite

Moonlite Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    JZ, great advice. Before I started pulling things apart, I put the Prius in "maintenance mode" and then ran the engine to get it up to temp. I connected my scanner to read the temp. Here are a few milestones;

At 185 F, the bypass hoses were hot.
    At 195 F, there was noticeable flow in the reservoir and the lower radiator hose going to the thermostat was hot.
    At 202 F, the radiator fans were not running

Since 203 is semi-overheating, I turned on the AC to see if the radiator fans worked. The fans did spool up and the temp went down to 195 quickly.

So my question, at what temp should the radiator fans begin to spool with the AC off? I think this is how I got the overheat light on while slowly climbing the hill (around 20 MPH) yesterday because I wasn't running the AC at the time. Maybe the fans are not coming on unless the AC is on?

11. Moonlite

Moonlite Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Also, at what temp does the over temp light come on?

12. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What scanner are you using? Do you have Techstream? Can you see or hear what the engine water pump is spoiling up to (rpms)? How many miles on your Prius? What part of CA you from?

13. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When AC is on, that's not the radiator fan that's turned on, it's your condenser fan. There are 2 separate fan in the front, ones for the engine and the other is for the AC, don't get those mixed up. Sounds like you're overheating due to the radiator fan not turning on. Is there any check engine light?

14. Moonlite

Moonlite Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ray, I'm using the Innova 3130e and reading the live data for the engine coolant temp.

I can't hear the water pump over the engine noise. But I think it is working because there is flow entering into the reservoir through the upper bypass hose. I also think the pump is working because the temp shot down after I turned on the AC, which kicked in the radiator fans.

There are 122k miles on the OD and I live in Santa Cruz.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  15. Moonlite

Moonlite Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    First, NutzAboutBolts is an awesome resource with the Youtube videos. Thank you for your contributions to the DIY community.

Regarding the fans, I'm a little confused because both radiator fans passenger and driver side, sitting behind the radiator (I don't have any fan/s in front of the radiator) come on when I turn on the AC. I just checked. This is the same in my VW Golf, that is how I thought of turning on the AC to kick in the fans.

I have no codes related to overheating.

16. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Looks like an expensive reader. Hope you had it laying around and didn't purchase for this issue.

I have Techstream on an old windows laptop and a $40 Kiwi2 reader paired with Dash Command on my iPhone. But it sounds like you can read some data:).

Have you had any issues prior to this with your Prius? Noticed anything in the days prior to this incident? Original owner? Or owned for how many miles?

If it is not throwing any codes and there are no permanent codes logged in history, troubleshooting will be difficult :(. Codes will help narrow the issue down, but if nothing is there, it might have been a one off.

17. NutzAboutBolts

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    you're right, turning the AC on does activate both fans. I guess the hybrid system is different from conventional vehicles.

Your cooling fans should turn on though when your engine is hot, the ECU reads all of the engine coolant temperature, air
    conditioning switch (on/off), air conditioning refrigerant pressure, engine speed, and vehicle speed signals to determine if it should turn on the fan relays which in turn start the cooling fan to cool down the engine... I would check the ECT sensors to see if its working properly.

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    With our accords there was a radiator and an AC fan, side by side, behind the radiator and condenser. IIRC the rad fan only came on for engine cooling, but when AC compressor was running both fans would run.

NutzAboutBolts likes this.
  19. NutzAboutBolts

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    yeah I thought so too, but the Prius cooling fan turns both on together either through the ECU control or through manual AC control. I guess there is no condenser fan. I haven't checked the whole AC system on how it works, it might be a little different on hybrids.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. Moonlite

Moonlite Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks, I'll look up how to check the ECT sensors. How many are there?