1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius front windshield bifocal effect issue

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Amit R, Oct 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amit R

Amit R Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    At night, headlights and all other light seen through the windshield are distorted. There is a bi-focal effect of the light above and below the source (tripling effect). It is more visible on cars with LED lights and police lights, the police lights u can clearly see three separate lights above the main lights with brakes in between them
    The dealer sees the effect but says this is on all Toyota's and has pointed me to Toyota. I've approached Toyota who summarily dismissed me without even an inspection. I want to take this through lemon law. The issue is straining my eyes at night. Anyone else sees this? Anyone have any experience with this?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    most don't see it, but there have been more than a few threads on it. i don't remember seeing any solution.

3. Selzier

Selzier Whee!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I can't say that I've experienced this issue. When I drive around I don't get a tripling of bright light sources. I would warn against lemon law though as I recently went through a lemon law fight myself and it was a grueling experience for surprisingly little gain.

The laws may be different in your state but here in CA, it needs to be an actual defect in the vehicle that either seriously inhibits the safety of the car (brake failures for example) or severely reduces the value of the car. Here in California you need documented proof that the dealer made at least 2 attempts to fix the "safety" issue or at least 4 attempts to fix the "value" issue.

If you do want to pursue the lemon law though, I think you should first try to see if you can test drive another Prius and see if the tripling happens in that one as well. If yours is significantly noticeable yet a different one is perfectly fine I think you would have grounds for them to attempt to repair the issue.

4. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    While the slope of the windshield can cause glare and contribute to your complaint, it is much more likely that your specific glare is caused by an internal eye problem. Early lens changes within the eye are often responsible for this. Not meaning to get personal, but what is your age? Maybe have the eyes checked by a professional.

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't have this problem either. I wear glasses but I'll see if that makes any difference during this morning's commute.

6. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have not noticed anything, with or without eyeglasses. Things do look more blurry without eyeglasses but I doubt the windshield is at fault.

7. Amit R

Amit R Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Heres what I was able to capture using a simple point and shoot camera last night. Please check if your vehicle has a similar effect. I've seen this in atleast 2 priuses I've tried.[​IMG][​IMG]

8. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The threads about this are getting the same posts now so I'm closing these and let's keep all the discussion in one, this one since it was the longest: 2011 Prius - Windshield triples light source images | PriusChat

Note to the OP: you don't need to post the same post/pictures across 4 threads, just choose one next time please. Thank You.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.