1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius - Going on vacation - Battery charge

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Big Steve, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Okay, I have read other threads, but most are one or more years out of date and not right on point of my question.

This fall we will be taking a two week vacation, and that will entail parking the Prius (2012, Model 4) in a potected parking lot, with no access to AC power.
    • Do I need to worry about the 12V being dead when I return?
      • IF so then what?
    • What should I do beforehand to reduce/eliminate the problem?
    • Do I need to drive my gas guzzler to the lot?

2. schorert

schorert Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    no
    nothing
    no

3. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well that is better than the crisis messages I read about 2010 Prii! :D

Are you new to the PRius, I see you have the same model as me!

4. schorert

schorert Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well I can tell you if you have a car that you can't leave idle for two weeks, you should leave it dead in the parking lot for the dealer to retrieve.
    as for crisis messages, thats about all I've read here! every mechanic is incompetent, even though the only work any of them seem to do is oil changes?
    Honestly, I come from Saab and Mercedes boards, and those cars have serious issues and you can get help on any topic(and do lots of work yourself). The prius is basically a maintenance-free sealed system. The ONLY work you can do is change the oil, and there's NO consensus on this board about doing even that!

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you're battery should be fine. i have been leaving mine for 6 weeks every winter for 8 years and no problems. the 2010's were susceptible imo because they sat on the dealer lots for upto a year without being charged.

6. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you guys think the car would be fine sitting for 6 months while winter is wreaking havoc on the Midwest? I don't know if the HV battery will hold enough charge to get the ICE started 6 months later. The 14v battery can have a maintainer connected to it all winter so no issues there.

Mike :)