1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius GPS gives bad routes

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by LCS2, Sep 20, 2012.

1. LCS2

LCS2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I noticed some eariler posts about the Prius GPS navigation system and I seem to have the same problem. I enter my address according to directions and the GPS does not give me the most direct route. I have tried all three of the route options and it gives me the same route. It keeps trying to take me off the main 4 lane road and interstate.

Since I just purchased the car, is there a way to verify that I have the most up to date maps?
    Is there anyway I can "over ride" the route Prius GPS gives me and create a custom route?
    If not, I will be very disapointed. If I cannot trust the GPS routes in the areas I know by heart, there is no way I would use it in unfamilar areas. I would go back to plugging in my Garmin GPS instead.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Where are you located? Do you have a Prius v wagon?

3. LCS2

LCS2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm located near Atlanta GA. I have the standard Prius car, not a wagon.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Unfortunately, the nav system has changed a completely w/the 2012 from that the ones in the 2010-2011 and 04-09 Priuses. Have you checked some of the settings? In earlier gens, there were settings to avoid tolls and might've even been one to avoid highways.

I asked which vehicle you have as you posted in the wrong area. Your post was in the "Prius v Accessories and Modifications' area and will likely be moved by the time you see this.

5. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 2012 nav sucks!
    Half the time it can't find an address and when it does find it- it's route decisions are questionable. Took our first long trip out of the area this summer and really needed the GPS- at one point the Prius GPS just freaked out and showed that we were somewhere in California even though we were in upstate NY! I had to turn the car off to reset that POS GPS.
    I've completely given up on the built-in GPS and went back to my trusty Garmin 1450 with lifetime maps and traffic.
    It's a shame because there's no real great place to mount a stand-alone GPS in the Prius- but in the end- do you want to get where you want to go or do you want aggravation and grief? I use the Prius GPS as a map now- no use for it's guidance feature.