1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius Horn Doesnt Work

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Sencere Williams, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Sencere Williams

Sencere Williams New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi Im needing some help on a 2012 Prius gen 3. Horn has stopped working all together. have check the fuse box fuse looks good but the it a slot for s-horn fuse and relay but theres no connection terminal. Found fuse in owners manual 40 amo type c looks in good shape no broken connection. have been reading about the spiral cable or clock spring. im a certified technician so the job looks easy. Just need some pointers of known causes.

2. Fooseman75

Fooseman75 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Im having the same issue with 2013 Prius. Did you ever find the cause? Fix it.
    I just bought a used Prius. Trying to figure out the issue.
    Thanks

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are all the buttons on the steering wheel working?

4. NoreenRose

NoreenRose New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Full disclosure, NEWBIE ALERT :D:D:D (I just joined this group 10 minutes ago)! I realize this is an old thread, but I HAVE NO HORN IN MY 2012 Prius c Two! The buttons on the steering wheel work & the fuse is good. I couldn't find the horn relay, I found references to the clock spring & the spiral cable while I surfed this site. ANY help is greatly appreciated. (Note: My son will be doing the work, he is "the car guy" in the family, I am gathering information for him.). The thought of bringing my baby to a car to a dealership is too much for me to handle.:mad::mad::mad: ) Thanks in advance for your help (y)(y)(n)

bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    techinfo.toyota.com will have the wiring schematic. he'll have to trace the circuit for voltage starting at the horn and working his way back to the steering wheel.
    maybe you need a new relay

NoreenRose likes this.
  6. NoreenRose

NoreenRose New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hello & thanks for replying. I will get the schematic, but I am not sure mt y son knows how to read one (I used to work @ a high tech company & we paid engineers who did that :LOL::LOL:)
    Oh, I have a quick question. I tried my Panic Button tonight, the lights flashed, but no horn went off. Is the panic horn the same as the horn on the steering wheel?

7. NoreenRose

NoreenRose New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hello bisco, it's me again, so sorry to bother you, but I went to the website you gave me, but I found it very confusing. I sent the site manager a message about, what membership I should purchase & asked how to purchase the wiring schematic for the horn on my 2012 Toyota Prius c Two. Unfortunately they have not responded to me & my son is coming up this weekend to help me & I am a getting a bit anxious. (FYI - I found someone who reads schematic and he is willing to help my son). Could give me advice that would help me effectively use the website? Any assistance would be very much appreciated :):):)!

bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't have a membership, so i am unable to look beyond the 'what is tis' tab. under that, it shows wiring diagrams, but you need to subscribe to click beyond that. a 2 day subscription is $25.
    then you download the appropriate diagram to your computer. i would think the standard diagram would work.
    if you can't figure it out, start a new thread in the gen 3 troubleshooting forum. let me know if you need help with that..
    more resources here:

toyota-service-information-and-where-to-find-it

#8 bisco, Sep 20, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2023