1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius III Door Lock Actuator Woes

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by jhg, Jul 31, 2018.

1. jhg

jhg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In January 2018 the driver's side door lock actuator failed. The symptom was that when you locked the car with the remote key or touch-sensitive locks on the door handles, the locks sounded like they first locked and then immediately unlocked, without the confirmation beep. The actuator was replaced at a cost of about $430, 70% of which was the cost of the part.

About 2 weeks ago (July 2018) it started exhibiting the same symptoms again. This time after some experimentation I determined that it was the passenger door that was failing to lock. Here's a list of symptoms
    • If the passenger door is unlocked when you attempted to lock the car with the remote, door handle sensors or trunk lock button, you get the lock/unlock sound and no confirmation beep. Only the passenger door remains unlocked; verified by putting the key fob out of range and trying each door handle.
    • If the passenger door is already locked, either because it was never unlocked or because you manually locked it using the rocker on the inside handle, then locking happens normally.
    • Curiously, if you lock the doors using the driver's side lock/unlock button on the armrest, locking also happens normally, without exhibiting the symptom.
    Clearly, having both locking mechanisms fail like this on a 6 year old car with less than 55k miles indicates either a design or manufacturing problem. I've opened a case with Toyota.

The third bullet above is really puzzling. What is different in lock actuation between the remote/smartkey method and the driver's side armrest lock button? I would expect that all "lock everything" commands, regardless where they originated, would activate the same locking mechanism. Why does one method fail while the other functions correctly?

#1 jhg, Jul 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Why obsess over the details ?
    It is a common failure on many models about that age.
    I had 2 fail on my C; one in warranty and one out.
    Good luck getting any consideration from Toyota.

I traded mine in rather than pay the ~$600 to have the second one fixed.

Mine exhibited various different specific symptoms from day to day......but in the end, it was just BROKEN.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there is a diy actuator repair thread, or you could locate a salvage unit.

4. Joele3

Joele3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've had mine fail back in 2014. Drivers side door. I used this guy on Ebay. Lifetime guarantee hasn't failed me yet.

actuatorplus on eBay

Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    How’s your head gasket seal doing these days:whistle:?

6. Joele3

Joele3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Still surviving. I'm about to hit 181k in the next day or two. I've been using 0w20 high mileage oil and now i'm noticing some oil pan gasket seepage. Next oil change i'm going to drop the oil pan and put some FIPG.

RMB and Raytheeagle like this.